Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legality of trapping methods and deer antlers

Spikehorn

Legality of trapping methods and deer antlers

Hi, I'm new here and have some questions that fellow trappers that ive talked to havent been able to asnwer. I want to try out some deadfalls for skunks and maybe a large one for racoon, it is legal in teh regs, are there any laws for the use of deadfall traps? Also, is it legal to search,keep,sell, and buy deer sheds?. And i heard , forget where, but i heard that someone found a deer shed with part of the skull top area attached. Would that happen in nature, and if i found something like that, should i report it? CAn i pick up roadkill furbearers in the off season?can i do the same in season? What are the laws for selling deer shedded antlers, if, if cause I'll probably never will find a ched, btu if i do, can i sell it for parts, like tines, and buttons and whatnot? Also, are there any Trappers near farmington/hartford on here??

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Hey Fezz, welcome to the site.

Yes, dead fall traps are legal for trapping in CT. Make one for the biggest animal that may come to it.
    Yes, you may pick up roadkills for fur, to keep or sell. Not sure why you would want to pick up a non prime furbearer, but you can. I start picking up fox in Sept for fur if not squished.
    A shed with skull attached would be a dead deer for whatever reason, shot, hit by car, coyotes, etc. Animals don't shed their skulls.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Super Moderator/ CTHS Supporter Fishin` Fun 2 Champion, Turtleshot Champion, chopper2 Champion, Dead Eye - Hardcore Champion, Counterstrike - Lite Champion MoodusHunter's Avatar
    It is perefectly legal to do what you wish with any deer shed you find. The same holds for skulls with antler attached and there is no need to report such a find (might be a good idea if you find a definitive hunting related kill to contact the DEP so as to not have them thinking that you killed the animal and left the remains only to take the antlers). I often will stop for roadkill bucks and cut off the antlers at the pedicles, also legal from what I have found.

10 Point
    Images
    Im pretty sure the deer antler/head cannot have any hair or skin attached to legally remove it from the woods without a tag, but Im getting technical

Spikehorn
    Thankyou all. This is going to be helpful. So, I'll be buying my trapping permit, should i do this before i start picking up any type of roadkillof furbearers? I know i need it for picking up fisher. Also, I'll be needing to make some bait, do i need a hunting lisence to pick up groundhogs and squirrels? CAn i do any of this before season, if anyone undoubtebly knows? I say before season cause I'll be cleaning the skulls to sell, and ill be seeing if i can make a attempt, hope fully it will work, if brain or egg tanning a hide/pelt.

Spikehorn
    also, what is considered taxidermy in ct? I may want t osell the deer antlers or skulls, i can sell them cleaned,correct? And can i make a mount for say a fox skul land sell it, or do i need my taxidermy lisence?

Sec. 26-58. Taxidermist's license. (a) No person shall practice taxidermy for profit unless he has obtained a license from the commissioner. The commissioner may, upon the application of any citizen of this state, accompanied by payment of a fee of sixty dollars, issue to such person a license to practice taxidermy, which license shall expire on December thirty-first next following the date of issue. Any such licensee shall permit, at any time, any law enforcement officer to examine and inspect any premises used by him for the practice of taxidermy. Such licensee may receive any bird or animal legally killed in this state or any bird or animal legally killed and imported into this state, for the purpose of tanning, curing or mounting the same, and the provisions of section 26-76 shall not apply to such person. Each licensee shall make an annual report to the commissioner, containing such information as he requires.
    (b) Any person who violates any provision of subsection (a) of this section shall be fined not less than one dollar nor more than one hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than thirty days or be both fined and imprisoned.
    (c) The license of any person to practice taxidermy may be revoked or suspended at any time for cause by the commissioner.

Sec. 26-59. Regulation of tanning, curing and mounting; permits.
    The commissioner may make regulations governing the tanning, curing and mounting of all species of wild birds, wild quadrupeds, reptiles and amphibians, including the issuance of permits therefor. All applications for such a permit shall contain such information, in writing, as the commissioner requires. Any person who possesses any such bird, quadruped, reptile or amphibian for any such purpose unless so authorized by the commissioner shall be fined not less than fifty dollars nor more than one hundred dollars and any such bird, quadruped, reptile or amphibian shall be seized by any representative of the Department of Environmental Protection and shall be disposed of as shall be determined by the commissioner.

TANNING, CURING OR MOUNTING WILD BIRDS OR WILD QUADRUPEDS

26-59-1. Permits for tanning, curing or mounting wild birds or wild quadrupeds

(a) No permit shall be required for the tanning, curing or mounting of game birds, wild quadrupeds, reptiles or amphibians legally acquired during the open season for taking such animals or for such animals when legally acquired and legally possessed under the provisions of General Statutes and no permit shall be required for the tanning, curing or mounting of unprotected birds, quadrupeds, reptiles or amphibians.
    (b) No species of wild bird, wild quadruped, reptile of amphibian acquired other than specified in this Section shall be tanned, cured or mounted without first obtaining a permit from the Department of Environmental Protection.
    (c) No individual shall be issued a permit for tanning, curing or mounting any wildlife, or parts thereof, which has been pursued, hunted, killed, captured or trapped contrary to any laws or regulations, or obtained and possessed as a result of the accidental death of such wildlife, except that a permit may be issued to any individual with the conditions that the animal, or parts thereof, must be tanned, cured or mounted, donated to, and immediately housed at an educational institution, museum, zoological park or nature center specified on the permit, provided such recipient is aware of such conditions and agrees to accept the specimen for public educational purposes.
    (d) Any wildlife possessed contrary to the regulations or provisions of this chapter shall become the property of the state, to be disposed of at the discretion of the Commissioner.

26-59-2. Receipt of raw furs by taxidermists
    Any person who is licensed as a taxidermist under Section 26-58 of the General Statutes and receives the untagged raw fur or carcass of any quadruped listed in Section 26-66-5(d) of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies as amended, for the purpose of tanning, curing or mounting shall immediately report the receipt of such raw fur or carcass by telephone to a location specified by the Commissioner. Upon receipt of such raw fur or carcass, it shall become the responsibility of the taxidermist to have the raw fur or carcass properly tagged, as required by Section 26-66-5(d), not later than the next regularly scheduled tagging session. In addition, the taxidermist shall keep a record of all transactions involving such untagged furs or carcasses, which shall include the date of each transaction, owner’s name, species and method of take. Such records shall be open for inspection by Department representatives at any reasonable time.

Spikehorn
    Thankyou EnCon. So taxidermy is the mounting of fur, So, a mounted skull with a tag, say if its a a fox or yote, will be legal to sell? And I can tan any type of fur, legally aquired, and sell it with out a permit?

You don't need a permit to tan hides or make mounts. However, if you are going to sell the mounts (not the hides) then you fall under 26-58 as you are making a profit from taxidermy.

Quote Originally Posted by MoodusHunter View Post
    It is perefectly legal to do what you wish with any deer shed you find. The same holds for skulls with antler attached and there is no need to report such a find (might be a good idea if you find a definitive hunting related kill to contact the DEP so as to not have them thinking that you killed the animal and left the remains only to take the antlers). I often will stop for roadkill bucks and cut off the antlers at the pedicles, also legal from what I have found.
    GET OFF MY ROAD KILLS !!!!