Thread: How do I keep my dog within range?

How do I keep my dog within range?

I have a one year old lab/pointer mix that I picked up after last hunting season. He is a very birdy dog, I'm using him as a flushing dog/retriever since he is more prone to flush than point. He is a good dog, he listens well, has a high prey drive, and I can even walk him at heel without a leash around the neighborhood. The only issue I have is when I take him out into the woods and fields, he ranges too far out. When I call out to him, he will either stand and wait for me, or run directly back to me. It wouldnt be so bad if he continued to hunt after I call on him to hold up. He will more or less stay within range until he comes upon a scent. At that point he charges after the scent. Is there an effective way to train him to stay within range?

Am I better off encouraging him to hold point instead? (He will point and freeze initially, but will break point very quickly and try and flush)

CTHS Supporter Conquer Antartica Champion Broadhead Joe's Avatar
    If you can, get your hands on a copy of the book "Game Dog" by Richard Wolters. It is a great guide to training gun dogs.

Images
    Sounds like he needs several things. I would suggest you buy a 30 foot lead or even longer and take him out in the woods. I bought a 100 foot rope and cut it in half with my pointer. Use this lead to keep him close and also to teach him whistle training. Teach him that a double blow on the whistle means come. Practice over and over again until he stays a bit closer to you and comes every time when you blow the whistle. Keeping him on the long lead will also teach him to stay closer most of the time, although most dogs may range a little further, my dog does this sometimes too, but the whistle always brings him back.
    In regards to holding point I suggest you look at some of the WHOA training videos on youtube.com. Once that dog goes on point he should not be flushing until you at least give a command. I actually taught my dog the whoa command with cats. They roam my neighborhhod and he was always ready to chase. But with persistance he was able to hold steady on anything.
    Most pointers will point and hold and force you to flush, i was able to teach my dog a command to chase the bird to get it to flush. After holding the whoa command and getting into position I tell him "free" which promts him to charge the bird and flush it.

Images

keeping dog in range

I use German Shorthair Pointers. 1st get a good shock collar/e-collar. There are some great brands on the market e.g. DT Systems, Dogtra and Tritronics. The most collars have a nick setting with adjustable intensity. Most have a beeper function which is an audible signal only. What I do is let the dog get out about as far as you feel comfortable is the edge of your shooting comfort zone. Next you
    want the dog to hunt back toward you or quarter back toward you to get the wind etc. I will usually give a tone signal to return, if that does not turn the dog I nick and call. You can adjust to
    the stimulation level you need eventually the dog will know when they hear the tone, its time to quarter or hunt back. When they come near you , OK the dog to send them out to the edge. If the
    dog will stay at a comfortable lead distance that is fine as long as you feel the area to be hunted has been covered depending on the width of what you are hunting or if you think the width /length
    will need several passes to consider it checked for game. If you are guiding you need to get a feel for what the other hunters are capable of shooting, take that into account as far as how much
    lead there is.
    Josh Tucker
    Trophy Time Gun Dogs
    http://www.trophytimegundogs.com/

Super Moderator/CTHS Supporter Space Invaders Champion, Breakout Champion, Turbocharged Penguins! Champion StoneCrusher's Avatar
    Images
    Like others said; consistant use of a long leash to get him used to staying within ~20 yrds.

step 2. When the dog gets too far out and you call for him to come back, you need to stop walking!. Do not go to your dog; make the dog come all the way back to you before you start hunting again. It become a bad habit for the dog if you call to him and he just 'hans-out' while you work your way over to the dog.

You may want to use a dog whistle with your training. like others say, they work great and it avoids you from having to yell for your dog.