Thread: Night hunting

2011 site supporter Balloon Hunter Champion joemichael's Avatar

Night hunting

I was surprised to read this in the hunting guide in the raccoon & opossum section:

"Hunting Hours- No restrictions on state-owned lands open to hunting and on private lands where landowners have given permission."

Has anyone ever hunted raccoon/opossum at night? Sounds like a different type of hunting experience.

Images
    i used to do it in maine when i lived up there. we had a farm and the coons would get into the corn and do all kinds of damage. i had a rotty x german shepard and he loved hunting coons. it was alot of fun but its real easy geting turned around and lost in the corn at night. the coons rarely made it to the tree line before jake would get ahold of em. up there we were also aloud to hunt coyotes at night. THAT WAS A BLAST!!! i wish they let ya hunt coyotes at night down here.

2011 site supporter Balloon Hunter Champion joemichael's Avatar
    Yeah, coyote hunting at night sounds awesome! That's when they're active anyway.

Coons are hunted at night with hounds. Possums aren't hunted much in Ct., more of a southern thing.

Oldfarmsblueman
    I hunted coon for over ten years in Ct.You need a good coonhound ,hard to
    find.Back in the day prices went from the $40.00 to a buck a pelt.

Cal45
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
    Coons are hunted at night with hounds. Possums aren't hunted much in Ct., more of a southern thing.
    Back in the sixties I use to hunt coons in CT. with a couple of guys that had some pretty good dogs. We hunted the Knowlton farm and Leander Wrights farm mostly. I am glad that these guys knew where we were most of the time because if it was up to me I'ld probably still be wandering around out in the woods. Of course the coons and dogs don't care where they are. Next morning early we would get together and skin the coons and usually cook up some of them for breakfast.

talk to dep about night hunting

they said if your a landowner your allowed to shot them over bait at nite wich sux for us that dont own land but for those of u that dont have ur own land just hunt em hard legally or find a landowner thats cool

Images
    We used to go coon hunting back in Ohio when I was a kid just about every weekend that we were allowed! I knew many a friend with different breeds of dogs...everything from Walkers, to Black and Tans, to BlueTicks, Redbones, the list goes on...it was a blast!
    I suffer from seasonal depression.....If it's not hunting season...I'm depressed! -- ME!