Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Phesant Stocking Info from DEP

Images

2010 Phesant Stocking Info from DEP

Here is a link to the 2010 Phesant stocking informaiton from DEP.

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a...epNav_GID=1633

Pheasant Hunting in Connecticut

Changes in 2010: This year the DEP will purchase a total of 15,775 pheasants based on revenues from the sale of 5,061 pheasant stamps in 2009. Although tag sales declined by 21% (1285 fewer hunters) more than half of the 2009 pheasant hunters paid an additional $14 dollars for their tags and close to 1000 pheasant hunters purchased their small game hunting license for $28 rather than $14. We will, therefore, be purchasing an additional 1472 adult pheasants in 2010. As in past years, our efforts will be concentrated on the best quality areas by stocking these areas three days per week and several high quality areas will be stocked on occasional Saturdays throughout the season. In order to keep the number of birds stocked per stocking at a high level we will concentrate our efforts on five of the seven weeks between opening day (Oct. 16th) and Thanksgiving..... Read More
    Visit my BLOG at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com

check out some of my videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/passinthru63

8 Point
    Images
    I know this isn't the right forum to rant and rave, but it doesn't happen or worse. If you stock 25 birds twice a week for 7 weeks that is 350 birds a week..!! Many of these high quality places get 400-500 hundred.

Even with all the senior citizens standing around waiting for the trucks on the stocking day's taking more then two birds with out or reusing the tag's they don't get anywhere near 25 birds. On that note, They are so nervous all the tags they have will be used up in two weeks they play hide and reuse tags.

All of us would benefit if State of Ct would have a second set of tags with about 6 tags for $10. Then they wouldn't be so nut's about not tagging birds early in the season. The state would get more revenue we would get more birds and our children could find a bird. We could pass bird hunting down to the kids.
    Still I don't hear the senior folks telling me of stocking anywhere near 25- birds twice a week. Is there a fraud case we should be pursuing

Quote Originally Posted by Gamebird View Post
    I know this isn't the right forum to rant and rave, but it doesn't happen or worse. If you stock 25 birds twice a week for 7 weeks that is 350 birds a week..!! Many of these high quality places get 400-500 hundred.

Even with all the senior citizens standing around waiting for the trucks on the stocking day's taking more then two birds with out or reusing the tag's they don't get anywhere near 25 birds. On that note, They are so nervous all the tags they have will be used up in two weeks they play hide and reuse tags.

All of us would benefit if State of Ct would have a second set of tags with about 6 tags for $10. Then they wouldn't be so nut's about not tagging birds early in the season. The state would get more revenue we would get more birds and our children could find a bird. We could pass bird hunting down to the kids.
    Still I don't hear the senior folks telling me of stocking anywhere near 25- birds twice a week. Is there a fraud case we should be pursuing
    I don't know if I'm with you on all that but I did notice (along with another hunter I met...okay he noticed first!)
    The feilds I normally hunt after work are pretty big. I went out the other night and saw no signs of birds, birds taken, spent shotshells, predatory kills, or nothing...I don't think they even stocked it. This is the biggest "set" of feilds in an area that is supposed to be highly stocked. They did stock some farther up the road (got one there) and farther down the road (where a lot of people walk their dogs and go running and walking) but no way they stocked the big "empty" feild where hunters tend to hunt...

Rick C.

SwampYankee
    Quote Originally Posted by deadfish View Post
    I don't know if I'm with you on all that but I did notice (along with another hunter I met...okay he noticed first!)
    The feilds I normally hunt after work are pretty big. I went out the other night and saw no signs of birds, birds taken, spent shotshells, predatory kills, or nothing...I don't think they even stocked it. This is the biggest "set" of feilds in an area that is supposed to be highly stocked. They did stock some farther up the road (got one there) and farther down the road (where a lot of people walk their dogs and go running and walking) but no way they stocked the big "empty" feild where hunters tend to hunt...

Rick C.

This is why I gave it up you go out get lucky then weeks of empty fields. I hunted Bloomfield flood control for one week every day saw a guy get one on mon. (senior) then nothing for days I had a springer not even birdy for days I think the dog even wondered what we were doing. then one day Thursday truck pulls up releases 15 birds did not come back till next Thursday another 15 birds they did put out a few nice roosters 3 or 4. Bottom line the hunting SUCKED. What they say they put there was not true 100 people hunting 15 birds a week the field would be clean in 2 days except the one that flew towards the houses. Bottom line Pheasant cost $$$$ to raise & move,Feed Ect. I would be willing to lay down $100 buck to see good hunting every time out. And yes miss use of tags is a big problem with the full timers/ Lot lizards.

8 Point
    Images
    I don't see a big problem at Goshen, WMA with people not tagging. But how could you stock 450-500 birds in 7 weeks. You put out about 65-70 birds a week, they say stocking twice a week, that is stocking 30ish birds two times a week. No way are they walking out with those numbers and they aren't chasing, pointing or flushing those numbers off that property. I will pick up and stock those birds on that property twice a week and you will see the difference fast. Sorry for the negativity and it isn't because I want to walk in and find a bird every second every time I go out. It is about right, wrong and transparency. We always have problems with transparency when it comes to money issues. I will video me stocking the birds and will do it for free. If it doesn't make a difference I will be the FIRST to point out My error with a apology.

Bill O'Riely

8 Point
    Images
    I still wonder about these numbers of birds. Some of these areas are big Goshen, MDC Greenwood, Flaherty etc.
    I know smaller public areas with good cover and hunting pressure I've seen stocked by club members and their are birds around all week. Everytime you ask a stocking truck groupie how many they seen put out it never goes past 15 birds, never twice a week. So how they squeeze in the 300-500 birds when nobody is looking must mean they are doing a good job on that third shift stocking. lol

Maybe they arent counting the five or six crates that the stockers are bringing to their house or their own favorite private spot haha

Images
    I heard they had some issues with the storm and access for stocking/stocking crates were destroyed during the storm and the DEEP were going to be holding off on "stocking" those areas (for all the stocking they've supposedly been doing) lol But does anybody know of any areas that are definitely not accessible for tomorrow morning? Or any information that may be useful as far as whether stocking will be taking place this afternoon for the morning or not?

pheasant

I scoshed out an area listed as a State stocked piece of land yesterday, just got the license and the tag after many years away.

Yesterday, I asked 2 oranged hunters on their way in if this was the place, what about pheasant...the guy was nice, with his Italian grandfather, on their way in to hunt. The young guy told me they had had no luck before here yet, and he had been there when they stocked the pheasants. He said he liked to stay on the trail, the fields were full of ticks.

I was a surveyor, I had ticks on my d*(&, they don't bother me unless they assemble a party. I'm going Monday. I have 12 grand in guns I bought last year in the excitement of a new pistol permit, I'm gonna sell them all, I've lost interest in tactical training and am gonna use grampa's 16 gauge side by side with 2 chokes, two triggers, built in about 1936, for Fulton Firearms in Fulton NY, about 25 bucks new. No, it has a modern barrel. #6 shot and stir up an asian bird and watch him fold into my supper plate, where I keep a special side dish for pellets and broken teeth. I met a Hungarian farm woman, and she is ready to pluck and prepare, I'll cook it. She wants a rabbit too, but I may have to buy one.

Images
    I wish I didn't see this post but I did and now I have to respond.
    When the money from hunting and fishing licenses and all the different tags started going into the "general fund" it seemed to me the stocking of birds and fish dropped off right away. Remember the days when opening day at Bartlett Brook and Cromwell meadows sounded like world war III. I going back to the 80's now and I know some of you weren't even born yet.
    Now I sit on stand with my bow on opening day of pheasant season and her maybe 10 shots all day???
    I stopped buying pheasant tags after a year or so of going hunting with or without my dog and not flushing anything time after time. Before the general fund deal I used to get my share of birds so something changed. And it wasn't the $10 dollars for the stamp that bothered me, it was the fact that the money wasn't going to used to fund hunting/wildlife anymore.
    Lets do the math, Lets say 15,000 birds stocked, 5000 pheasant stamps sold, multiply that by 10 tags per stamp, that's 50,000 tags for 15,000 birds. I think my chances of seeing a bird are slim. And if you work and can only get out Saturday's well...
    Someone made a joke earlier about 3rd shift stocking. I think that's what they should do. Stock at night when nobody is around. Another problem is all of the hawks, coyotes, fox, etc., in CT. I think 10 to 20 percent of the birds stocked go to these predators. I have no facts to back up any of the above statements but that's my take on this issue.
    For now I'm going to stick to bow hunting until I can't draw the bow back anymore. Then I will be on stand with a paintball gun. No license or tags to buy. I guess that could be fun in the off season too. Unless there is some law against paintball guns in the woods? The red spotted deer are mine. There's a blue spotted deer someone else must have got that one, nice shot lol. It's kind of like catch and release hunting I guess
    Have fun and be safe out there.