Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post responses from your legislators here

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images

Today's response from Rep. Daniel S. Rovero (D) Thompson, Killingly, Pomfret area

I sent a letter through his website and didn't save what I sent, so I don't have my letter to him, but here is his response.

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding the proposed changes to gun control legislation. I am always glad to hear constituentís opinions on the problems that face us on a daily basis. I believe that your comments set forth the bigger issues that we, as a society, need to address. Certainly, events like those at Sandy Hook Elementary School wonít be prevented by gun control laws alone. Addressing the societal needs of families and children would go a long way in helping to prevent these problems. We need to reduce our social acceptance of violent behavior and start teaching the value of human life. Some of the proposed changes, such as the background check programs, will help to stop guns from getting into the hands of criminals and the mentally disturbed, while preserving Second Amendment rights of law abiding citizens. I think that some of these changes are necessary and workable with rational discourse between both sides and I will try to promote these proposals accordingly.

Sincerely,

Representative Daniel S. Rovero
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images

Finally got a response from DICK

Dear Mr. Mongeau,

Thank you for your message regarding gun legislation. I appreciate hearing from you.

I apologize for my delay in responding. Due to the outpouring of letters and calls from Connecticut constituents about the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School, I was unable to adhere to my usual response time. Please know that I have been mindful of your message.

I support the right of law-abiding Americans to keep and bear firearms as protected under the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. I have consistently said that the Second Amendment, as well as the Constitution of the State of Connecticut, secures for individuals a fundamental, constitutional right to bear arms. In considering any gun-related proposals, I am mindful that the Supreme Court has ruled that any regulations on firearms must be narrowly drawn and carefully drafted to pass constitutional muster.

I appreciated hearing your thoughts about the need for national mental health reform, which must be part of a comprehensive approach to reducing gun violence. We need to be able to identify people who would harm others or themselves, so that we can provide intervention and treatment before it is too late. And we must make sure that our public mental health system is adequately funded so that the mentally ill and their families have access to high-quality and affordable health care and services.

Leading a bipartisan coalition of senators, I have introduced the Mental Health First Aid Act, which would provide assistance to train school administrators, first responders, teachers, and others to identify, understand, and respond to signs of mental illnesses and addiction disorders. Teaching our first responders the right way to intervene early and get help to those at-risk individuals before they harm themselves or others is a vital part of the solution to better prevent violence in the future.

There are several proposals to address our nationís problem of gun violence currently being discussed by the Senate that fully respect Second Amendment rights. I am honored to serve on the Senate Judiciary Committee, and as I consider any gun violence legislation, I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Thank you again for your message. Please feel free to contact me in the future with any additional questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Richard Blumenthal
    United States Senate

If you would like to contact me again on this issue or another issue, please do not respond to this email address. Please, instead, use the contact form on my website: https://www.blumenthal.senate.gov/contact. I look forward to hearing from you.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.