View Poll Results: What is the maximum distance you will shoot at a deer with your bow?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • 20 yards

3 7.69%
  • 30 yards

14 35.90%
  • 40 yards

17 43.59%
  • 50 yards

4 10.26%
  • 60 yards

0 0%
  • 70 yards

1 2.56%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: maximum distance you will shoot at a deer

2012 CTHS Supporter bobbythehunter's Avatar
    Images

Smile shooting limits

i generally limit myself to 25 or 30 yards although i must say that most of my hunting is in the woods and i set up my stands in tight situations mostly. i can honestly say I've never had to pass up a shot due to the animal being too far away (with the bow). my most recent stand doesn't have a clear shot further than around 25 yards. i agree with stonecrusher and others who note that each animal and situation is different. a nervous whitetail is a tragedy waiting to happen.

I am with Stone Crusher and Homestead and Moodus! I practice most of my shots at 40/60. I don't know if I would take a shot past 50. I would have to be in the moment! Agree with Moodus, I don't actually have a 40+ yard shot at any of my stands. Maybe 35 or so! I actually have not ranged it because I dont need more then 1 pin! It would be an aim a bit low or high situation! There is a spot tho, I may head to later in the season, where it is a feild! Was planning it to be my Muzzle Loader spot. If the conditions were right. IE: No wind, Calm Deer(Stopped perfect.) I would take a 50!
    " Bowtech RPM 360 70#, Bowtech Invasion 60# Carbon Express Red, Carbon Express Maxima Hunter, Carbon Express F15, GrimReaper SS, Rage Hyperdermic"

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MoodusHunter View Post
    just wondering who feels comfortable shooting out to 70 yrds on a deer? I might need to take some lessons on your shooting form!
    I know what you mean. I shoot a crossbow using a monopod and I can literally put two arrows in the same hole at 40 yards and I can't even imagine shooting that far on a deer. Way too much can happen before that arrow gets there.

The doe I shot on opening day was at 40 yards, broadside, relaxed, had her head down feeding, and it was dead calm. She still had time to turn a perfect broadside shot into a hard quartering to shot that resulted in a single lung hit. Damn they are quick.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

2011 site supporter Balloon Hunter Champion joemichael's Avatar
    I voted 30 yds. I'm sure I could make kill shots beyond that, but I'm not confident enough in my shooting at this point to take a shot at a deer much further than 30 yds.

Quote Originally Posted by MoodusHunter View Post
    just wondering who feels comfortable shooting out to 70 yrds on a deer? I might need to take some lessons on your shooting form!
    I don't bow hunt, but was curious to see what the poll results were. I just voted for one of the yardages and it happened to be the 70 yards. Sorry for the confusion, but I could only see the results by voting.