Thread: Fluorescent Orange Requirement for Bowhunters Question for Encon

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images

Fluorescent Orange Requirement for Bowhunters Question for Encon

Is the following regulation for fluorescent still the legal requirement for the 2010 season? I don't know why I have it in my head that the elevated stand portion was deleted.

"Archery Deer and Turkey Hunters hunting on private land and designated deer bowhunting only areas during the November 17 to December 31 time period may remove their fluorescent orange clothing when hunting from an elevated stand at least 10 feet above the ground."

Thanks,

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Cal45
    The way I read it you don't have to wear orange , hunting from an elevated stand on archery only areas or on private land during the firearms season. On the ground you need the orange. Page 10 of the abstract.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal45 View Post
    The way I read it you don't have to wear orange , hunting from an elevated stand on archery only areas or on private land during the firearms season. On the ground you need the orange. Page 10 of the abstract.

Thats the way I read it as well and that is they way it was last year but for some reason I thought it changed this year and the elevated stand part was deleted. You cannot believe the number of hunters I saw running around on the bow hunting only land last year during this time period with out any orange on.

Bob

10 Point
    Makes no sense to me, you can bow hunt sept 15th till nov 16th and jan 1st till jan 31st with no orange at all on but you have to wear it while bow hunting on the ground on bow only land nov 17th till dec 31st. Either way there is no gun hunters in the woods your hunting on.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by *HuntЯ* View Post
    Either way there is no gun hunters in the woods your hunting on.
    HOPEFULLY. It's amazing how many people "didn't know" they crossed the property line. Whether private to state land, or private to private land, or in this case onto bowhunting only land. Most of us know where we are supposed to be, others don't know or don't care.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    HOPEFULLY. It's amazing how many people "didn't know" they crossed the property line. Whether private to state land, or private to private land, or in this case onto bowhunting only land. Most of us know where we are supposed to be, others don't know or don't care.
    Last year there was a camo clad shotgun hunter in the bowhunting only area I hunt and the last evening of archery season before the gun season there was a hunter in there with a high powered rifle. I am not talking about the "fringes" of the bowhunting only property. I guess he was getting a jump on the season. I would never go completely without orange in a bowhunting only area.

Bob

Fluorescent Orange Requirement
    During the period September 1 through the last day of February, hunters (including persons hunting with deer damage permits) are required to wear at least 400 square inches of fluorescent orange clothing above the waist and visible from all sides. An orange hat, in addition to a coat or vest, is strongly recommended.
    The following hunters are exempt from this requirement:

• Archery Deer and Turkey Hunters hunting from September 15 to November 16 and from January 1 to January 31.
    • Archery Deer and Turkey Hunters hunting on private land and designated deer bowhunting only areas during the November 17 to December 31 time period may remove their fluorescent orange clothing when hunting from an elevated stand at least 10 feet above the ground.
    • Firearms Turkey Hunters
    • Waterfowl Hunters while hunting from boats, duck blinds, or other stationary positions.
    • Crow Hunters while hunting from a blind or a stationary position.
    • Raccoon and Opossum Hunters when hunting from 1/2 hour after sunset until 1/2 hour before sunrise.
    • Landowners while hunting deer on their own property. Family members are still required to wear fluorescent orange.

Images
    Thanks for the quick confirmation Encon.

Bob

Cal45
    Quote Originally Posted by *HuntЯ* View Post
    Makes no sense to me, you can bow hunt sept 15th till nov 16th and jan 1st till jan 31st with no orange at all on but you have to wear it while bow hunting on the ground on bow only land nov 17th till dec 31st. Either way there is no gun hunters in the woods your hunting on.
    The reason being most of these bow hunting areas only pertain to deer hunting when they say bow only. These areas are still open to small game hunting with firearms and you need the orange to do that. As for the bow hunters it's a safety issue.
    I have also seen guys hunting state forrest with high powered rifles during archery season. That was before cell phones though.

10 Point
    AAhh now it makes sense, i dont do any small game hunting so it never entered my mind. I would hate to get shot in the a** by someone thinking i was a squirrel!

5 years ago i came across a guy spring turkey hunting wearing a white sweat shirt and a red bo-sox cap, could be the same idiot that uses a rifle on bow land..................