Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Choosing A Bow

12 Point

Need Help Choosing A Bow

Looking for some bow help for my 10 year old son.

He has an old Bear kids bow and went to a 3D shoot yesterday with a friend and his friends dad. He got a 3rd place pin and was ecstatic!!

I haven't bow hunted in years due to coaching soccer in the fall, and am out of touch with the bow scene. However my son wants "a better kids bow" for target shooting in the back yard.....something not to much$$$$ but something with sights and a bit more power that he can learn to shoot with.

Any recommendations and help is appreciated....

Check this one out:

http://www.pse-archery.com/prod.php?k=70975&u=0517MZ

Many guys don't like PSE bows, and their recurve bows are junk. But, they make a nice youth compound.

get him a diamond razors edge u can get the whole package at cabelas for about 350$ its weight is adjuatable from 30 to about 65lbs and the draw length has like 11 inches of adjustment hell be able to shooti it until he wants a different bow cranked all the way up and at 29inch draw length we got 287fps out of my fiances... in my opinion there the best bow on the market for someone who is gunna grow out of any other bow quickly hell be able to shoot tht thing until hes 20 if he wants

Images
    I'm with youngbuck here. Look for something that offers upa wide range of draw lengths and weight adjustments so he can grow with it. Use it for targets and move right into hunting with it until he has a job and can buy his own. Did that with my son when he was 10 and now my daughter is using his old bow. Best money I ever spent. We had the Browning Micro youth bow though.
    Visit my BLOG at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com

check out some of my videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/passinthru63

Super Moderator/ CTHS Supporter Fishin` Fun 2 Champion, Turtleshot Champion, chopper2 Champion, Dead Eye - Hardcore Champion, Counterstrike - Lite Champion MoodusHunter's Avatar
    I've heard/read good things about the razor with its nearly infinite adjusment! You won't find a better deal for a bow that can be shot for the next decade! Stonecrusher and Quigly both have kids in that age bracket with bows, they will have some good insight for what they are using.

Pse Chaos .
    Diamond Razors Edge.
    Bear Truth 2 Young guns ( My Daughter shoots great bow)
    These are the bows I would go with.

My daughter want to trade for the PSe Chaos because I shoot a PSE Bow Madness and they look the same!

Is he Right or left? She is lefty but right eye dominant, but shoots better lefty.
    So I dont buy the eye dominants crap.

Andover Archery has a Right handed Bear TRuth 2 there! I think It was under 3 for the Bow! Columbia Sports had a few PSE Chaos in stock as well! I thnk 315 or so for a ready to shoot package!
    " Bowtech RPM 360 70#, Bowtech Invasion 60# Carbon Express Red, Carbon Express Maxima Hunter, Carbon Express F15, GrimReaper SS, Rage Hyperdermic"

Super Moderator/CTHS Supporter Space Invaders Champion, Breakout Champion, Turbocharged Penguins! Champion StoneCrusher's Avatar
    Images
    My 9 yr old has this 2009 Diamond Nuclear Ice (it will fit her for several more years to come, which is very important when buying a bow for a kid):

just click the link and then click on Nuclear ice bow:
    http://www.diamondarchery.com/products.php

We got it in the bargain cave for ~$120. I think they sell for $180 in the upstairs bow department of cabelas. It is a nice bow and I have no complaints about it. It uses high-end technology cams and parrallel limbs.
    This has draw length adjustments from 14" to 24" and weight adjustments from 10 - 30 lbs. Cranked up, it will chuck an arrow at 200 feet per second.

comes with
    hostage arrow rest
    3-pin sight
    quiver,
    and arrows (suggest you buy good arrows of the correct length)

12 Point
    Thanks guys for all the suggestions.....time to do my homework

Ironically a neighbor came over with a Browning bow for my son that was his sons years back. He has seen him practicing out back with his Bear bow and had no use for the Browning so gave it to my son......

I can't for the life of me remember how to figure out the draw length ect...is your draw hand suppose to be at your ear (there about) when you draw back?? Like I mentioned it's been a few years...

The ATF just audited my local firearms/hunting store which I would normally go to to set this bow up for my son and get him arrows. After 6 months of auditing found one paperwork filing violation/dilemma and shut them down....STINKS!!!
    They sold me my bow years back, and I bought many firearms from them over the years.....

Super Moderator/ CTHS Supporter Fishin` Fun 2 Champion, Turtleshot Champion, chopper2 Champion, Dead Eye - Hardcore Champion, Counterstrike - Lite Champion MoodusHunter's Avatar
    The ATF has been cracking down on all the little gun stores as of late. But anycase for draw length if he is shooting fingers a good anchor point is the corner of the mouth with his trigger finger. If shooting a release there is no defintive location, some go under the ear, some under the jaw it is all about what is comfortable for him.

Images
    The ATF just audited my local firearms/hunting store which I would normally go to to set this bow up for my son and get him arrows. After 6 months of auditing found one paperwork filing violation/dilemma and shut them down....STINKS!!!
    They sold me my bow years back, and I bought many firearms from them over the years.....
    You would think they would cut them some slack that really suks ...
    Shoot a Coyote save a Fawn