Thread: archery target practice

Super Moderator/CTHS Supporter Space Invaders Champion, Breakout Champion, Turbocharged Penguins! Champion StoneCrusher's Avatar
    Images

archery target practice

I know many of you archers are tunning your bows and taking it outside on Sunday afternoons to make sure that you still 'got-it'.
    Well, Instead of just target practicing at high noon with perfect weather on Sunday, try taking it up a level. the weather will never be perfect for all of your kills, so you should be prepared to shoot in any conditions (rain/snow/wind/sun/fogg/bright/dark).

See how your arrows are effected by ~15 mph winds; set up your target so you are shooting with the wind and take 10 shots. Then turn it around and shoot into the wind 10 more times and look at your pattern. try this a few times so you can see if there is a consistant pattern.

If you can, set up the target with a solid cross wind. instead of holding the shot for the wind to die down, hold it at full draw until the wind picks up. See how the wind pushes the arrow left/right.

One other thing to try (I did this tonight) shoot in very low light conditions. Chances are, you will be taking that deer at dawn or dusk. It could also be overcast or foggy making it extra difficult.
    tonight I shot 8 arrows @ 20, 30, 40, and 50 yrds. I could barely make out the bullseye, but i could easily see the outside edges of the white target. One thing that I noticed was that the black peep site was extremely hard to focus on when trying to line up the sight pin on the center of the bag. made for some interesting shots. the 32 shots were averaging slightly high and to the right. I think that this is important information to remember. I was drawing back, and placing the string in the corner of my mouth in a more natural postion than when I can see very well. When I can see well, I pay more attention to peep hole and site window. since I could not see the perimeter of the peep window, I probably had myself canted slightly. (I plan to shoot more the next few nights to see about adjustments).

Don't forget to shoot some angled shots, sitting shots, and kneeling.

***and since I am going to be doggin' Elk next month (on horseback, running, and full-out sprinting); I decided to run fast back and forth to my 50yrd target until my heart rate was up and then quickly grabbed the bow and took 4 shots with an elevated heart rate. i was not to bad considering how much movement i had in my bow hand. The sight would be moving all around the target, but my reaction time was pretty good at letting the arrow release at the right moment. I plan to try this several more time over the next 2~3 weeks. I am better than last year, but I don't feel the least bit ready for my first elk hunt.

CTHS Supportor
    Images
    Good luck with your hunt, what state are you hunting in? Hope you did some cardio, i always tried to spend two days before the hunt began just to adjust to the altitude. Ive seen more than a few guys go down with altitude sickness or not staying hydrated enough.

Super Moderator/CTHS Supporter Space Invaders Champion, Breakout Champion, Turbocharged Penguins! Champion StoneCrusher's Avatar
    Images
    8000' - 10,000 feet in Idaho-sleeping under the stars with the horses.

yeah, I have been working out 5 days a week. weights 3 days (50 mintues) and running 2 days.

I am increasing to 6 days per week starting today.
    Sunday - run 5 miles
    Monday - chest, triceps
    Tuesday - run 3.5 miles (going to be hot and muggy)
    Wednesday - back biceps
    Thursday - Run 3.5 miles
    friday - biceps, tricpes, shoulders, abs
    Friday night - 1.5hrs of fight class (boxing, grapling, gun/knife disarment)
    saturday - outdoor stuff with family (bike,hike,waterski)
    then do it all over again.

Those hills are steep. I hunted in the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness. When we were side hilling your inside stirrup was touching ground and your outside boot was hanging out in space -1/4 mile almost straight down. The outfitter said just let the horse go and you'll "probably" be o.k.

I pick the days my schedule allows and go out no matter the weather (within reason.. no super rough). Bascially, if I'd hunt in that weather I'll target shoot in it. Bonus is the ranges are pretty empty on imperfect days.