Thread: Hunt with Compound Bow and Crossbow?

Hunt with Compound Bow and Crossbow?

So I got about 3 buddies to buy compound bows and try hunting the upcoming season. long story short, I thought I had a permanant injury since after a year of therapy and the doctor telling me I wont get my shoulder muscle back, I had gotten my xbow permit last year. Well since my buddies were shootin around I had to try the bows out, and realized that I can just pull back a 60lb draw. Now im thinking maybe the kid at Dicks didnt know what he was doing because he supposidly gave me the lowest legal draw weight to try and I couldnt pull it back at all. OR, maybe my arm is using other muscle and is learning to work differently.. anyway, can I hunt with a compound bow, or will i be breaking a law? Will they suspend my crossbow license? Been thinking about it lately and dont know what to make of it. I think i would def. be able to use one at about 50lbs, probably just couldnt stay drawn for a super long period of time..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turkeyjerky57 View Post
    So I got about 3 buddies to buy compound bows and try hunting the upcoming season. long story short, I thought I had a permanant injury since after a year of therapy and the doctor telling me I wont get my shoulder muscle back, I had gotten my xbow permit last year. Well since my buddies were shootin around I had to try the bows out, and realized that I can just pull back a 60lb draw. Now im thinking maybe the kid at Dicks didnt know what he was doing because he supposidly gave me the lowest legal draw weight to try and I couldnt pull it back at all. OR, maybe my arm is using other muscle and is learning to work differently.. anyway, can I hunt with a compound bow, or will i be breaking a law? Will they suspend my crossbow license? Been thinking about it lately and dont know what to make of it. I think i would def. be able to use one at about 50lbs, probably just couldnt stay drawn for a super long period of time..
    I wouldn't think there would be a problem with you using a compound bow. the crossbow permit is a permit to use not a permit to must use. I would ask Econ though because you never know with the great state of CT. The minimum draw weight is 40 pounds so 50 your fine.

Super Moderator/CTHS Supporter Space Invaders Champion, Breakout Champion, Turbocharged Penguins! Champion StoneCrusher's Avatar
    Images
    Thats a good question. on one hand I could see that it could be an issue becuase you recieved a crossbow permitt by being disabled to some degree. one the other hand, I suppose that you had honestly gotten better (well enough to draw min-draw weight) and chose to get a standard archery license and hunted with the compound.

Cal45
    I've thought about this myself. I have the crossbow permit and crossbow. I don't know if I could shoot my compound or not but am kind of affraid of the consequences if I do. Same question. "Would I lose my crossbow permit?" But then also I realize that with the crossbow I am a much better shot and there is less chance of the deer jumping the string which has happened a few times with the compound.

you can hunt with either i called dep the other day looking into it for my father and that was one of my question that if he got his crossbow permit would he still be allowed to bow hunt and they said when u get your crossbow permit all it does is give u the option to use a crossbow it does not restrict u to one you can shoot either

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by youngbuck View Post
    you can hunt with either i called dep the other day looking into it for my father and that was one of my question that if he got his crossbow permit would he still be allowed to bow hunt and they said when u get your crossbow permit all it does is give u the option to use a crossbow it does not restrict u to one you can shoot either

thanks a TON!!!!!, Now the fiance might kill me cuz i might just go buy one, but i need to atleast get one kill with the xbow, its still brand new.lol. I am FREAKIN SIKED!!!! whooooohoooooooo... I honestly feel i can aim steadier with the compound, than the xbow, unless i have some type of rest.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    I can shoot a compound bow 3-4 times without a problem, after that though the pain rolls in and I suffer. For me this eliminates the practice sessions that are needed to obtain the proficiency level I feel that I need to hunt worth a compound bow. When I was hunting with a compound bow I used to practice for an hour 3-4 times a week all summer long. In Mass the min draw weight is 40 lbs. I would guess that Connecticut is similar though I don't know.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyjerky57 View Post
    thanks a TON!!!!!, Now the fiance might kill me cuz i might just go buy one, but i need to atleast get one kill with the xbow, its still brand new.lol. I am FREAKIN SIKED!!!! whooooohoooooooo... I honestly feel i can aim steadier with the compound, than the xbow, unless i have some type of rest.
    lol ya i would def have to use the crossbow once just because if your lookin i was at halls the other day and they have some pretty good deals on some pretty nice used bows

S.E. Mass. Except Deer season then you re apt to find me hanging around any ol tree!!
    Well I don't know about you but I was stubborn and would not get a crowwbow permit till last season when a nice buck came out and I drew on it and had to hold well let me tell you it hurt but it hurt the deer even more I shook and my shot was way off and I made a horrible shot. I was lucky and recovered that deer but it might not have come out that way and a beautiful buck might have crawled off and died and became coyote bait. From then on I felt that it just was not ethnically right for me to hunt with a vertical bow any more I have much more respect for deer then that. So that's when I had my talk with my Dr, and I switched to a cross bow. But I guess its up to the individuate to know their own limitations. Something to think about.

Hmmm. Now I have no problem with a compound. But I have issues with my elbows. I know My Dr. Would sighn off on it. But I would be doing it just for the cool of it! Does that make me a bad person LMAO? Not that I would be running out to buy one either. But just for future thoughts.

Im just not sure how I feel about doing this. I am a huge Lier/THief Hater! One of the few things I REALY HATE! It's kind of like the lazy ass welfare frauds who wont get off their asses and get a JOB
    ( The ones who realy can ), because they are making more money collecting.
    I don't know, but I realy do want to be able to shoot a crossbow. I think it is stupid that you have to be disabled! Make it another season, More state Revenue! I know they are talking Private land in 11 and 12.
    " Bowtech RPM 360 70#, Bowtech Invasion 60# Carbon Express Red, Carbon Express Maxima Hunter, Carbon Express F15, GrimReaper SS, Rage Hyperdermic"