Chatham, NJ teen hooks monster fish - a 60-pound striped bass in Long Island Sound Fishers Island
By JAKE REMALY STAFF WRITER
August 10, 2010

On Ted Carroll's first cast of the night, he got a lot of nibbles.

On his second cast, a very, very large striped bass went for the live eel hooked as bait at the end of his line.

The 13-year-old Chatham resident reeled in the fish over the next 10 minutes and when it got near the boat, his cousin Rick Carroll, 52, aimed a flashlight at the catch.

"I shined the light on it and said, "Oh my God,''' Rick Carroll said.

Ted Carroll caught the jumbo striper in Fishers Island Sound, at the eastern tip of the Long Island Sound, off the New York/Connecticut coast. The scale at Wild Bill's Bait and Tackle in Noank, Conn. wasn't large enough for the fish so Ford's Lobster, also in Noank, did a second weighing. The fish measured 55 inches and weighed 60 pounds, apparently surpassing the previous male junior angler record of 57 pounds 14 ounces.

Carroll's catch still needs to be verified by the International Game Fish Association before it becomes official. The previous record was set on May 25, 2008, by Christian LeVatte of Sydney Forks, Canada, according to Jack Vitek, world records coordinator for the Florida-based International Game Fish Association. The junior division includes anglers aged 11 to 16.

The overall world record for striped bass is 78 pounds 8 ounces. That fish was caught in 1982 near Atlantic City.

"I was shaking after I caught it,'' Ted Carroll said Monday. "I was happy, but I was
like, holy cow.''

The pair didn't have a net with them so Rick Carroll grabbed the bass by the gills and threw it on their boat, a 15-foot Boston Whaler.

Ted Carroll caught the monster fish around 11 p.m. on July 26, just before the full moon. He was casting with a spinning reel and a 17-pound test line.

"Guys fish their whole lives and never see a fish over 50 pounds,'' said Rick Carroll, a Norwalk, Conn., resident and avid fisherman, who has been teaching his younger cousin how to fish this summer.

Ted Carroll had good luck on prior nights, such as when he caught a 45-inch striped bass, which they filleted and ate. But the night he caught the massive fish, it was the only catch of the night. Ted Carroll, an incoming eighth-grader at Chatham Middle School, said he is having his apparently record-setting striper mounted. He plays football, baseball and wrestles, and has two younger brothers.
Jake Remaly: 973-428-6621; jremaly1@gannett.com