Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Piscator field Notes

Super Moderator/ CTHS SUPPORTOR piscator's Avatar
    Images

3 day NH hunt coming up…

My brother and I are heading up to Northeastern New Hampshire at the end of October for a 3 day whitetail muzzleloader hunt. We'll be using the same outfitter that I used for my bear hunt, only this time the hunt will be farther north on the Maine/Canadian border. The hunt includes 4 nights lodging in one of their cabins and 3 squares a day. I'll be using my "Buckwacka" .45 caliber with scope (1 in 21" twist, capable of firing 200 grains of powder), while I'm sure my brother will be bringing his trusty .58 caliber traditional style muzzleloader with iron sights. The muzzleloader season opens 10 days in advance of the rifle season, with antlered bucks being the legal quarry. Hopefully, the way everything is early this year, the bucks will seeking out the local does and pushing them around. Outfitter, Jason Parent of New Hampshire Guide Services, told me that they've been seeing tons of deer while scouting for Moose lately, and he said he's confident that we'll have a great hunt. We'll be hunting clearcuts and logging roads from stands and on the ground but he also said we can hunt in any manner we'd like. I know my brother likes to still hunt, while I like to sit. Still hunting, for me, always becomes a hike with a rifle, as I don't have the discipline that still hunting demands. Hopefully successful reports and pictures to follow, so stay tuned.

Images

Piscator field Notes

Here's an article that appeared in Woods and Waters USA in Sept of 2009 that gives basic tips and information for those who are new to the Party Boat experience.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Images

Piscator field Notes

I've had real bad G.A.S. since Saturday. Every hunter is struck by this condition, also known as Gear Acquisition Syndrome. I stopped in at Autumn Gun Works in Goshen last Saturday to find a replacement .22 for my Marlin semi-auto tube fed. There in the corner sat the .22 I've been searching for for years. A Kimber Model 82 bolt action .22, made in Clackamus, Oregon. It's all I've been thinking about for 3 days and today I brought it home. I've done a little research and I've seen the same gun and similar going for $800 to $1250 online. It's got some scratches in the stock and very slight wear on the bluing at the barrel tip, but this gun is going to be put to work, so I'm OK with that. A real quality piece of American craftsmanship. The Bushnell will eventually be replaced with some better optics, maybe a Leupold. I can't wait to try it out this weekend if the rain lets up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

Front door Turkeys…

Here's a picture I took just now of the turkeys who have adopted me. They're here almost every evening and the poults are almost as big as the hen now. They don't run from me and will stand and wait as I dish out a couple helpings of cracked corn. They're doing pretty well, considering I've seen them stalked by a Bobcat and fox. I think they like that we don't have dogs or kids and haven't cleared all of our trees out and they roost out back every other night.

Images

Fox on the rocks…

This feller stopped on the big chunk of granite out in the backyard tonight to have a scratch and lick it's… I don't know, male or female… you fill in the blank. Really nice coat starting, looks like it's going to be a cold one, says the farmers almanac and the bushy tail on this critter. Forgive the picture quality, taken through a dirty window in low light.

Images

Piscator field Notes

I finally got to try out the Kimber .22 LR I bought last month. At sunrise I took 3 squirrels with three bullets in three minutes. Not bad considering I've never fired this rifle before. I'd like to get a different scope on it as I found the Bushnell fixed 4 power it came with didn't zoom in on the critters as close as I'd like to pull off those devastating head shots consistently. The first big male I took was close enough and the head shot was no problem. The smaller female and another big male were both lung shots but were farther out. Took a walk and added one more medium sized female to the bag for a half limit. A beautiful crisp day to be out and about on my favorite squirrel ridge.

Images

Piscator field Notes

Unfortunately, my brother and I came home empty handed. Great hunting conditions (snow) for tracking up in the A2 on what is called the Dead Diamond area. Gives a hunter a new appreciation of these little hills here in CT! Non stop swirling wind, snow coming in sideways and 40 degree climbs to the summits via logging roads littered with logging debris and knee deep mud holes… and loved every minute of it! Found a lot of activity in a small area hoping there would be bucks courting the does. Had some REAL close encounters with does and skippers at 25 to 30 feet in the raspberries. Wish I had the camera, but I had too much to carry as it was. We hunted hard every day from sun up to sun down. The plus was coming back to our ultra-modest camp at night and having a great home cooked dinner ready for us. Our guide's friend from Enfield, CT took a 6 pointer from the valley below us and a local feller brought in a beautiful mature 11 pointer who survived the kill-off of 2008. That deer weighed 203 dressed and had a weird double brow tine and a couple kicker points that gave it plenty of character. Definitely not hunting for those with heart conditions. CT is going to be a cake-walk in comparison this year.

Regards -Andy

Images

Oyster Mushrooms!

While out and about I slammed on the brakes after seeing the mutha-lode of oyster mushroom clusters. I've been driving right by them but now that the leaves are all down they stuck out like a sore thumb. About 4 pounds of them from 1 tree! These are going to be a great compliment to the bear and venison dishes this year.

Images
    Would you mind sharing the recipe on how to fix the srhooms .
    I see some of them at times while hunting ...
    Shoot a Coyote save a Fawn

Images
    A simple sautee in butter and/or olive oil, some chopped onion or shallot, fresh or powdered garlic. Throw what you'll use for the week in the fridge and freeze the rest.

Or, make a Hunter's (chasseur's) sauce to go with any red wild game meat.
    Makes 2 cups

Ingredients
    1 cup chopped mushrooms
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons minced onions
    1/2 cup tomato puree
    1/2 cup red or Madiera wine
    1 cup left over home-made beef gravy (or brown gravy made from a packet)
    2-5 drops Maggi seasoning (or Worcestershire sauce)
    salt and pepper, to taste

Preparation
    1. Saute the onions in butter until very tender.
    2. Add the mushrooms and saute for about 2-3 more minutes.
    3. Add the wine, simmer, and reduce by half.
    4. Add the beef gravy and tomato puree and simmer for about 5 minutes.
    5. Add the Maggi seasoning, salt and pepper to taste (you can also try adding your favorite herbs to this sauce).
    6. Serve with venison or bear steak
    Last edited by piscator; 11-08-2010 at 08:34 PM.