Thread: gundog training

gundog training

anyone doing any gundog training? Ive been obedience training since I got him, Introduced him to quail 4 or 5 diff. times. Now I am about to introduce him to .22cal starter gun. Been banging on pots here and there when he eats his food. Tv has been on near his kennel since we got him at 9 weeks old. He is 7 months old now, was wodering if anyone had any advice or anyone on the same boat? Maybe get together and do some training.

Super Moderator/CTHS Supporter Space Invaders Champion, Breakout Champion, Turbocharged Penguins! Champion StoneCrusher's Avatar
    Images
    we trained our English springer using decoys and firing a gun/pistol to make like the bird/decoy was shot. he was also a great pet.
    We never banged pots, or kept things noisy. he was generally not spooked by noises other than thunder, no tug-o-war games which kept him having a very soft mouth (no puncture wounds or damaged meat) He would keep his eye on the bird in flight and then When he would hear the gun fire, he would know the bird is down and start looking for it. he also retrieved with hand signals, no whissles or sounds of any kind. he would just look back often for another hand signal. We are working on another Springer that hopefully will be just as good as the last.

2011 CTHS Supporter
    those plastic cap pistols you see at gas station convienience stores, the ones with the red caps in a circle are a good start. Not too loud, but have a good sharp crack. I'd say if you are going to use the 22 do it from a good distance away at first.

yea I have been using the toy cap gun for a while now when he eats it doesnt even faze him a bit soo now the 22 gun is next.