Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nuisance Coyote

Being so close to many homes you also gotta make sure of the trajectory of your shot. Downward and into the ground and away from these homes obviuosly is what you want. Any other shot going toward anyones house would be illegal. And, you had your friend get the permission slips from his neighbors. You better make sure all these neighbors are on the same page and they still feel its ok for you to do this or you may wind up visited by the local PD or ENCON.
    As an example I once got permission to hunt private land for turkey from the landowner, I then go back a few weeks later to thank him and guess what..his wife changed HIS mind, so that spot of mine suddenly dissipated.
    So, even if you got these slips, I would present myself to these people just to verify things.
    Personally, I feel 7 acres with homes all around is way to small of an area to be out there with a gun. If there were no homes, or only the one owner that gave you the permission ok, but many homes brings the possiblity of many problems from people. I would use a bow.

Super Moderator/CTHS Supporter Space Invaders Champion, Breakout Champion, Turbocharged Penguins! Champion StoneCrusher's Avatar
    Images
    If the shots are close range, just use your bow.

Agreed with the bow. If they are comming in like that and are not bothered by humans. Set a tree stand or blind and a decoy you can get em. I had 2 adults and 3 pups late deer season. I hesitated on the male, TOOO LATE do not hesitate. I should have too, I noticed he had mange.

You can legally hunt within 500' of a dwelling (or other applicable building) as long as you have written permission from the building's owner in your possession while hunting.

You are not limited to just a shotgun for coyote on private land, you can legally use a rifle. The 10 acre requirement for rifles is for deer hunting only.

8 Point
    Well Chris we will be waiting for an update. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by EnCon Police View Post
    You can legally hunt within 500' of a dwelling (or other applicable building) as long as you have written permission from the building's owner in your possession while hunting.

You are not limited to just a shotgun for coyote on private land, you can legally use a rifle. The 10 acre requirement for rifles is for deer hunting only.
    Good info CPT, I totally misread that 10 acre requirements in the regulations.
    While we at it, what was the rationale for not allowing to hunt coyotes at night? It is allowed for raccoon and opossum and coyotes are mostly nocturnal, I never saw one trotting across the open space at 3 pm :-) Why not hunt them at night?

Cal45
    Quote Originally Posted by bkln View Post
    Good info CPT, I totally misread that 10 acre requirements in the regulations.
    While we at it, what was the rationale for not allowing to hunt coyotes at night? It is allowed for raccoon and opossum and coyotes are mostly nocturnal, I never saw one trotting across the open space at 3 pm :-) Why not hunt them at night?

Too easy to mistake a deer for a coyote at night. OOPS!! You won't find deer up in the tree branches until deer season starts so it's not a problem hunting coons at night.