Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nuisance Coyote

6 Point

Nuisance Coyote

I am looking for some advice/regulation on some coyote control. A friend of the family has been having some problems with a pair of coyote's and their young for the past month or so bothering neighbors dogs, cats, and some nesting geese. She wants them taken care of. She has 7 acres of land located right next to the CT River. The problem is most of it is marsh from the river. She has 6 other residences within 500 feet of where i could be shooting to coyotes. I had the landowner get me consent forms (same forms as i use for deer hunting) from the property owners and all of them know that i would be shooting the coyotes from the friends property and that i would be within 500 feet of her house. Because i am only on 7 acres i would be using a shotgun. Am i missing anything here as far as regulations go? I have my valid hunting license and have my bachelors in conservation law enforcement and am working on my masters in criminal justice management as my career goal is to become a CO or game warden.

Thank you,
    Chris

Deer Hunters and Turkey Hunters - must have the written permission of the landowner for the current season on official DEP forms (PDF 41k). Copies of the form do not have to be sent to DEP, but must be carried while hunting. Old forms, still available at some town clerks and DEP offices, or a photocopy of the official form. The form must be dated for the current season, indicate the weapon types authorized by the landowner, and have the landowner's original signature. A landowner must have a minimum of 10 acres to authorize the use of a rifle for deer hunting. There is no minimum acreage requirement for using a shotgun, muzzleloader or archery equipment.

The same applies to small game. you need your Firearms license
    An Archery Deer/Small game permit, If you use a bow!

But if you need any assistance in harvesting just let me know! HE HE HE
    Last edited by Spotted Crow; 06-16-2010 at 04:18 PM.

SwampYankee
    I think you might be missing one thing the permission to hunt private land does not state that you have permission to hunt close to the houses. on land I was hunting close to a house DEP told me to get signed permission from all owners on deed of property on regular paper & Cary it with me. that was about 15 years ago. makes sense if you were stopped & the owners were not home how would you prove they okayed it. Good luck.

Super Moderator/ CTHS Supporter Fishin` Fun 2 Champion, Turtleshot Champion, chopper2 Champion, Dead Eye - Hardcore Champion, Counterstrike - Lite Champion MoodusHunter's Avatar
    exactly what SwampYankee said in regards to hunting within the 500'. Everything else sounds right to me!

14 pointer Feed Mo Champion Quinnsolo12's Avatar
    Images
    Good luck man. I would recommend hunting them in the early morning, (that's when I saw the majority during turkey hunting, I've got them bad over my way) but whatever you want to do.
    To succeed where others fail, go where others fail to go.

You need to wait to hear the official response from ENCON.

According to page 8 of this years hunting guide you need to be 500' from houses or occupied buildings unless they are your own or you get permission from each home owner. You indicated you had permission to hunt and consent form(s), are the consent forms from each homeowner whose house is less than 500' from where your shooting? Thats I believe what you'll need to be legal.
    Be sure to get this paperwork, and all these residents know you'll be out there. Believe me it'll be better than having someone call the police indicating there where shots fired behind there house and then have the local PD come out and confront you in the woods.
    Even if your legal that would still be a hassle you do not want...trust me.

Oldfarmsblueman
    Yes get permission from the people next door but don't think your just
    going to walk out there and shoot a coyote.We have had one drop
    a Holstein calf's head off in the yard after digging it up 1/4 mile away.
    Killed the neabors goat then dragged it out of the wood shead and
    started eating it again.I saw him turkey hunting but coulden't get a
    shot (bow)He has walked through the yard three times with my son's
    dogs following him.We went after him 5 min after he walked through
    the yard but they disappear fast.His neabor had two walk into there
    yard while they were having a BBQ.Now that takes balls.He craps all
    over my food plots I have a trap set and they are still walking around.If
    you don't have a gun in your hand when you see one you will never
    get it!!! JMO! O ya and my son had him in the sights of his 270 and it
    moved out of sight just before he could get off a shot.!!!!GOOD LUCK

I vote for the Coyote over outdoor cats.
    Turkeys, Deer and Geese...... yeah, drop the hammer..
    I looked into this from a business standpoint a few years ago. You need signed permission from everyone within 500 as mentioned. We felt elevated platform with a shotgun, during school hours, so kids are not home was good policy. In the end, it's just not worth the hassle, from a business perspective. From a hunting perspective, I guess but right now the fur is worthless.

Member: National Rifle Association ~ Gun Owners of America
    United Bowhunters of Connecticut ~ Coalition of Connecticut Sportsman

6 Point
    I would still like a response from encon, i had the landowner get the written permission from all homeowners within 500 feet using google earth. I also had her explain that i would be shooting from her yard as i didnt have a permission slip for hunting within 500 feet so i hoped the deer hunting consent forms would work. As for harvesting the coyote im not worried, the neighbors have taken to shooting bottle rockets at them they are not afraid of us at all! While scouting her property i had the female walk 50 yards away from 5 of us standing in her backyard and not even care!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisH View Post
    as i didnt have a permission slip for hunting within 500 feet so i hoped the deer hunting consent forms would work.
    You just make up a handwritten one.

Member: National Rifle Association ~ Gun Owners of America
    United Bowhunters of Connecticut ~ Coalition of Connecticut Sportsman