Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun or muzzleloader?

Images

Shotgun or muzzleloader?

I am a little short on cash as of right now and not sure if I can swing all the seasons. Bow is a definate but I am trying to figure out which one I should do shotgun or muzzleloader. Being I have never hunted down there I am looking for input on which season is better to you who have hunted down there.

Thanks..Buck

Super Moderator/CTHS Supporter Space Invaders Champion, Breakout Champion, Turbocharged Penguins! Champion StoneCrusher's Avatar
    Images
    I prefer Muzzleloader. If you can, you may want to consider a synthetic stock and a stainless steel barrel. This way, winter weather will pose little damage.

I prefer hunting M/L season, but I have done better during rifle/shotgun season. The deer have gotten quite pressured by M/L and are harder to find, but I prefer the weather, and the lack of other hunters.

Super Moderator/ CTHS Supporter Fishin` Fun 2 Champion, Turtleshot Champion, chopper2 Champion, Dead Eye - Hardcore Champion, Counterstrike - Lite Champion MoodusHunter's Avatar
    muzzleloader has less hunters and now a longer season to go with it! I don't hunt with the shotgun at all, I stay away from state land during firearms.

Cal45
    If your hunting state land you only have nine days during shotgun. Muzzle loader is longer. If doing private land shotgun is the way to go. I use to hunt both state and private shotgun/rifle and muzzle loader. It seems that the last two years we have gotten a good snow storm in mid December before the muzzle loader season. Myself, shotgun is better because all the really warm clotes I have bought seem to have shrunk in storage and don't fit now.

Images
    because all the really warm clotes I have bought seem to have shrunk in storage and don't fit now.

I blame my wife................

Images

Doe tags?

How does it work for doe tags for shotgun or muzzleloader? Is there a drawing or do they issue one with each license?

Super Moderator/ CTHS Supporter Fishin` Fun 2 Champion, Turtleshot Champion, chopper2 Champion, Dead Eye - Hardcore Champion, Counterstrike - Lite Champion MoodusHunter's Avatar
    for shotgun there is a lottery with A and B seasons. There is all no lottery areas. Muzzleloader is over the counter. With both of them you get two permits one anterless and one anything.

Cal45
    The state land shotgun and muzzleloader you get one tag good for either sex. Private land you get two tags. One antlerless and one any deer except in zone 4a which covers Somers, Stafford, Union, Tolland, Ellington and Willington. There the anterless tag is not valid. Only the either sex tag is good. Some ares have additional tags but I'm not sure if there are any in the northern part of the state.

The replacement antlerless tags are for zones 11 and 12, basicly the southwest corner of the state, the coastal towns and the east side of the lower Ct. river valley.
    Last edited by flatlander; 05-09-2010 at 04:59 PM.