Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DEP EnCon Police Arrest Windsor Man for use of chemicals to kill wildlife

DEP EnCon Police Arrest Windsor Man for use of chemicals to kill wildlife

DEP EnCon Police Arrest Windsor Man
    for use of chemicals to kill wildlife
    The Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Environmental Conservation Police (EnCon) have arrested a 49-year-old man on charges that he used chemicals to kill wildlife.

The man, William Bednarz of Windsor, was released on a promise to appear and is scheduled to appear in court on May 4, 2010 at Superior Court in Enfield.

An investigation into the presence of a dead coyote in Windsor this November led EnCon police and DEP Pesticide Program investigators to question Bednarz. He allegedly admitted to placing hot dogs baited with Furadan, an agricultural pesticide, in and around his crop fields in an attempt to kill raccoons, which he believed were causing damage.

The investigation began when a woman walking her dogs along Great Meadow Rd., Windsor, discovered the dead coyote adjacent to the Farmington River. Allegedly two of her dogs, a pit bull and Labrador retriever, gnawed on the decaying carcass and quickly became violently ill. The Labrador retriever ultimately died, and the owner contacted the DEP Pesticide Program to request a follow-up investigation.

From tests on the dogs and the coyote, investigators from the DEP Pesticide Program unit and EnCon Police, working with the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, New Haven, were able to determine that the coyote had been poisoned with Furadan.

The use of Furadan, also known as Carbofuran, is controlled by federal and state regulations. It is designed to protect field crops, such as corn, potatoes and tobacco from insects, and is extremely poisonous if used for any purpose other than its intended use. .

2012 CTHS Supporter bobbythehunter's Avatar
    Images

just invite some hunters in

although there are not many who hunt racoons, there are a few out there that would probably be tickled to get invited to hunt.

People don't think about other animals that may eat the bait instead of just their targeted ones.
    How stupid is she to let her dogs chew on a dead coyote? I would not let my dogs any where near one dead or alive.I feel bad for the dogs.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Homestead View Post
    People don't think about other animals that may eat the bait instead of just their targeted ones.
    How stupid is she to let her dogs chew on a dead coyote? I would not let my dogs any where near one dead or alive.I feel bad for the dogs.
    I was thinking the same thing...
    "Go afield with a good attitude,with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." FRED BEAR

Cal45
    [QUOTE=Quigly;23914]I was thinking the same thing...[/QUOT

I was thinking the same thing also.

I wonder if she was letting them run, off leash and they were out of her sight, feasting before she realized what was going on.
    People seem to feel for some reason that when walking dogs on state or private land that is not theirs, they can just let them run. pisses me off.

Super Moderator/CTHS Supporter Space Invaders Champion, Breakout Champion, Turbocharged Penguins! Champion StoneCrusher's Avatar
    Images
    maybe she should try feeding her dogs before walking. I know most dogs are affriad of coyotes. I also know that a Coyote will not eat anohter coyote. strange that her lab would take a bite.

Quote Originally Posted by stonecrusher View Post
    .... I also know that a Coyote will not eat anohter coyote. strange that her lab would take a bite.
    I disagree on this one, oh yes they will eat another yote, no questions asked.
    Other than that the lady should have those dogs leashed at all times, was she fined for that? I wonder what will happen to the guy who poisoned the dogs

Super Moderator/CTHS Supporter Space Invaders Champion, Breakout Champion, Turbocharged Penguins! Champion StoneCrusher's Avatar
    Images
    Coyote eating coyote was just an opinion I had based upon knowing specific areas that held several coyotes. When the farmer shoots one, it doesn't get eaten by anything. It just rots. I don't even recall vultures at it, but they are swarmed over the dead cows that are stacked up at the back edge of the farm.

Also, the 3 dead coyotes are still sitting in the same place, untouched, for the past week. They are on rte 2 east bound between exit 22 and 23. Nothing is eating those.

Farmers have been using poisoned bait to get rid of pests for hundreds of years. The public will complain when they have to pay top dollar for a product because half the crop was wiped out by pests, what do they think the farmer just goes into the field and nicely asks the racoons to stop eating his corn. I don't get it if you have mice in your home you can poison them with DI-CON or use a snap trap that kills them dead, what hapens if your deighbors cat kills a mouse that has just eaten di-con now you have comitted the same crime as the farmer. My friend is a dariy farmer and the racoons are a real pain in the ass on the farm, they get in to everything rip holes in the silage plastic, how do you get rid of them? no one hunts coons any more and I am not positive about the law but I dont think you can use leg hold traps above water any more. Be carefull next time you put poison on your lawn to kill grubs and kill every thing that lives under your lawn or shove a smoke bomb down a woodchuck hole to get him out of your garden and kill a rabbit you may be committing the same crime.