Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Slugs for Deer Hunting on State Land

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by S2H View Post
    Now I see why you picked up the .17WSM...how's it shooting BTW?
    Funny you mention it, I just had it out of the safe this morning while getting at one of my AR projects.
    I just got word from Larue Tactical last week something I ordered a year and 8 months ago is finally being built, but that's another project that will be finished before coyote season.

The 17wsm I'm still breaking in, Match Grade Machine wants a 50 round break in which is tedious with all the cleaning steps.
    I will post up some more pics and range results when I get to dialing it in. For now it's just shoot and clean, cool barrel, repeat.

I've been chipping away at it here and there, but I have other rifles and pistols I train with, plus I have friends that I help with their shooting needs.
    When I bring them to the range I don't get in much trigger time, I enjoy seeing them improve.

I've been helping along one of my co workers for the past year or so and he recently finished building an AR 10. I didn't mind spending time dialing it in and putting it through its paces at all! Thing is bad ass.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dive4blood View Post
    Funny you mention it, I just had it out of the safe this morning while getting at one of my AR projects.
    I just got word from Larue Tactical last week something I ordered a year and 8 months ago is finally being built, but that's another project that will be finished before coyote season.

The 17wsm I'm still breaking in, Match Grade Machine wants a 50 round break in which is tedious with all the cleaning steps.
    I will post up some more pics and range results when I get to dialing it in. For now it's just shoot and clean, cool barrel, repeat.

I've been chipping away at it here and there, but I have other rifles and pistols I train with, plus I have friends that I help with their shooting needs.
    When I bring them to the range I don't get in much trigger time, I enjoy seeing them improve.

I've been helping along one of my co workers for the past year or so and he recently finished building an AR 10. I didn't mind spending time dialing it in and putting it through its paces at all! Thing is bad ass.
    How's the work schedule been? Let me know if you have a good date or time to do a little distance shooting before I leave in late Oct. My .17 has been up at the factory for awhile getting worked on but It's a smart choice for state land.
    When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MTN_Infantry View Post
    How's the work schedule been? Let me know if you have a good date or time to do a little distance shooting before I leave in late Oct. My .17 has been up at the factory for awhile getting worked on but It's a smart choice for state land.
    PM Sent to ya.

2014 Change

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
    What passthru said. Minimum 20 ga. The only other legal firearm for state land is a muzzle loader during it's separate season.
    One of the new laws this year allows the use of muzzeloaders as a lesser weapon during the state land shotgun season. I know the thread was about slug use in shotguns but for those of us itching to put one down with the smoke pole earlier, we can do so now. Not to mention some muzzleloaders can be more accurate than a slug gun.

Button Buck
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallard870 View Post
    One of the new laws this year allows the use of muzzeloaders as a lesser weapon during the state land shotgun season. I know the thread was about slug use in shotguns but for those of us itching to put one down with the smoke pole earlier, we can do so now. Not to mention some muzzleloaders can be more accurate than a slug gun.
    Really, we can use muzzle loaders during shotgun season, on state land?!?

Goodbye 16ga, Hello .50 caliber!

Images
    Yep I only use a shotgun for spring turkey now! My ML is my weapon of choice for state land deer!
    I suffer from seasonal depression.....If it's not hunting season...I'm depressed! -- ME!

Yup. Take a look at the new regs for 2014. Muzzleloader basically has a season from the beginning of private/shotgun A through the regular muzzleloader season. I think its funny how they consider it a lesser weapon when its basically a rifle. It should only take one shot anyway. Finally a law that makes sense.

Button Buck
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallard870 View Post
    Yup. Take a look at the new regs for 2014. Muzzleloader basically has a season from the beginning of private/shotgun A through the regular muzzleloader season. I think its funny how they consider it a lesser weapon when its basically a rifle. It should only take one shot anyway. Finally a law that makes sense.
    For the traditionalists, Muzzleloading is more challenging. For those of us with in-lines, it's basically a rifle. I'm going to study up on the new regs and get the 50 ready for fall.

Images
    Capt can you clarify if ML is legal on state land during the shotgun season? I was under the impression the lesser weapons statute was only valid on private land
    When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home

Quote Originally Posted by MTN_Infantry View Post
    Capt can you clarify if ML is legal on state land during the shotgun season? I was under the impression the lesser weapons statute was only valid on private land
    Sec. 26-86a-4. Firearms and Ammunition
    (a) Persons hunting subject to a state land shotgun deer permit may hunt with a 12, 16, or 20 gauge shotgun incapable of holding more than three shells containing a single projectile, or a muzzleloader, as defined in section 26-86a of the Connecticut General Statutes.
    (b) Persons hunting subject to a private land rifle/shotgun deer permit on lands less than ten acres may hunt with a 12, 16 or 20 gauge shotgun using shells containing a single projectile, or muzzleloader, as defined in section 26-86a of the Connecticut General Statutes.
    (c) Persons hunting subject to a private land rifle/shotgun deer permit on lands of ten or more acres may hunt with a 12, 16 or 20 gauge shotgun using shells containing a single projectile, a centerfire rifle or a muzzleloader, as defined in section 26-86a of the Connecticut General Statutes.
    (d) No person shall possess an electronic ignition firearm with the battery connected, a capped percussion lock firearm, or a flintlock firearm having powder in the pan, where a loaded firearm is prohibited.
    Sec. 26-86a-6. Open Seasons