Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coyote carcass

coyote carcass

I understand that it is somewhat common practice to shoot coyotes and leave them where they lie. Is this legal? If you are not going to be taking the hide, what is the suggested method?

There is no good reason for killing one and leaving it there to rot. At least take the hide and freeze it. You can always find a trapper who would be more than happy to take it. The skulls are worth something also if you have the paitence to clean them off. Im not sayin you would kill em and leave em, but I cant stand wasting an animal. Its just not right to kill something and not find a use for it. You can donate the furs to the Conn Trappers Assoc at the fur auction also. The money will be well spent defending the right to trap in Ct.

Nothing goes to waste in the forest. Skunks,Opossums and Fox's will eat the carcass, as well as mice and chickadee's, titmice will take the fur and line their nests.
    While I understand the sentiment, A Coyote is not a Deer or a Turkey.

I'm not sure where this is common practice, most certainly not the hunters I know atleast. Unless its killing your chickens or a pet, why go to the trouble of hunting something to then not give it the time of day and leave it to rot. Yes I understand they are a nusiance and are damaging the deer herd in our state, I suggest atleast if you want to hunt them, do atleast go to the trouble of finding someone who will find use of the furs. Like previously stated, I would hope you aren't one to just leave it to rot, though someone may tell you its "common practice" don't let it sway what your better judgement tells you. Though rudimentary for most hunters, we can't forget that it is not always about the trophy , it is also an exercise in ethics and respect for our quarry. Just some thoughts, please no flames.

Images
    I haven't left anything that I shot behind. But if they had any kind of mange, I would not be taking them home. JMO
    "Go afield with a good attitude,with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." FRED BEAR

It is not illegal to leave a coyote carcass, bad sportsmanship, unethical hunting practices, but not illegal. Even if you don't want the pelt, there are plenty of people who do. Find them before you hunt and give the carcass to them after you shoot them.

Leaving a bunch of coyote carcasses around is bad practice. It's the type of situation that anti-hunters like to draw attention to.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EnCon Police View Post
    It's the type of situation that anti-hunters like to draw attention to.

Good point,Capt.
    "Go afield with a good attitude,with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." FRED BEAR

Thanks for the respectful replies. No, I didn't plan on doing this. I read about coyote hunting on similar forums but I don't hear much about pelts or meat in the stories, and when you ask why they hunt them you get a lot of "They are just scumbag predators" and "They are over-populated". Just curious what the general sentiment here was.

A coyote may not be a deer or turkey, but it is a living thing that is trying to survive the only way it knows how. Im my opinion, if you kill it, you use it for something or you will have the hunting gods to answer to.

Super Moderator/ CTHS Supporter Fishin` Fun 2 Champion, Turtleshot Champion, chopper2 Champion, Dead Eye - Hardcore Champion, Counterstrike - Lite Champion MoodusHunter's Avatar
    I personally want to tan a coyote hide and make a rug out of it for the man cave wall! I won't do the intricate work on the head, so just a body rug. I would bleach the skull as well.