Thread: pigeon training

pigeon training

Just got my new vizsla 3 weeks ago, he is 11 weeks now. Can wait to take him out this coming pheasant season. woohooo. anyway, does anyone know where i can get a hold of some pigeons for training? I want to introduce him to birds, unless someone else has any advice. thanks.

I dont know where to get pigeons but you can use quail and you can order them from lots of places that sell chickens and other birds. If you have a place to train your dog that is on private property you can build a box or I have seen blue 55 gallon plastic barrels used, you put dowels for roosts and cut vents with screens in the barrel. You raise the quail in the barrel and when they are big enough to go out on their own you let them go if you keep feeding them they will come back to the barrel every night. When you want to use them for training you close the door the night before after they are in for the night. When you toss them in a bush or hide them in some grass and they are flushed they will come back to the barrel that night. I can't remember if the opening was closed every night to keep out predators or if it had a opening that was small for the birds to go in and out. I am shure you could find some plans on line.

My 13 year old son and I have been training are 16 month old Lewellin setter together since she was a puppy.Not sure how much room you have. A Johnny house or a recal pen can be used on either but Pigeons and quail are fairly close in price.Tough to get pigeons around here unless you trap them your self. If you tell people around here you want them for traning a dog most of them freak out on you. We have only used quail and they are smaller then the pigeons which is good for a small dog and hold well. I know of some places to purchase Quail in CT Ussually no limit on amount. They should be ready end of March Begining of April. Prices depends on the coast of grain and propane which heats the incubatuor. I think are dog was about 4 months before we started using live birds. Spend alot of time on the yard work mastering the commands( still doing alot of yard work) it will pay off big in the fields. Then it's all about getting them on live birds, the more the better.

thanks for the response guys. I was gonna order some from mcmurry hatchery magazine but I would have to buy 120 quail. Yea he is listening to sit, stay, and down right now at 11 weeks. Im siked!!!! Will def. suck if they get rid of our pheasant season.

That would suck if we loose are pheasant stocking program. I think I am going to start hunting Mass. I live in Enfield right on the Mass line. Just tough for my son until he turns 15 for now he would hunt under my license and he would only be able to use my gun, we would also have to share bag limit. You can buy birds right in Salem CT. no limit ( Bourdeau's Pheasant Farm 860 859-0884 ) Build a small coop like a rabbit hutch feed cracked corn and use a small chicken water. If you even only bought 10 birds they would last you for about 5 to 6 training sessions. There is a great place to work your dog in East Windsor CT. Flaherty field trials they start the trials end of March every week end they close the area off for the trials but if you can get there early week Monday or Tuesday you can work the dog on field trial birds. They will but out some times 300 birds and it is no kill. A little ride for you though. Good luck just take your time and don't rush.