Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coyote hunting

I usually hunt coyotes on private land with a rifle, I have a few areas I have permission for. You can hunt them on state land, but you are restricted as to what caliber you can use.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by CtChuck View Post
    I usually hunt coyotes on private land with a rifle, I have a few areas I have permission for. You can hunt them on state land, but you are restricted as to what caliber you can use.

Chuck
    What time of the day you were most successful? I know in CT one can't hunt them at night, I guess they want us to use shotgun on public land I don't think a lot of good can come from shooting these dogs with .22 :-)
    Any tips on the public areas that are over populated?
    Let me know
    Thanks
    Mark

I've had the best luck in early morning, I try to get set up and then wait to let the area settle before calling. Just picked up a decoy, going to try it out this weekend. A buddy of mine that traps gave me some coyote scent to try. I use a Foxpro caller mostly, I'm not very good w/ hand calls.

I went out on state land last night, no luck. A lot of sign where I was, there was so much coyote crap I must have been on the edge of someones turf. I carry a .17 HMR on state land, I have a little more faith in it than a .22LR. Would rather have the .223, but not legal on state property. A turkey gun would also work, not sure on this being legal however. Check the hunting regs or ask EnCon here in their forum.

I would scout around wherever you are thinking to hunt, watch for scat and any tracks. Look for areas where you have brushlines, old roads, etc where you can set up and see a little. Try calling, use a motion decoy, a feather on a string attached to a short pole will work. They will be looking for the source of the sound ( free meal!), and will check out the decoy hopefully giving you time for a shot. Gotta go full camo ( like turkey hunting), and try to be still. They can see motion incredibly well, and will take off at the first sign things are not kosher.

Good Hunting

Chuck