Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coyote hunting

Images

Coyote hunting

Has anyone had any luck coyote hunting? We called in a Red fox but it never came in for a shot.

"Go afield with a good attitude,with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." FRED BEAR

We've been out a couple times, no luck. Have a dead cow and some deer parts out, they have started coming in to the bait. Hopefully we'll get some shots at 'em......

Chuck

Sorry for the crappy pictures, hopefully my buddy will send me some better ones.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CtChuck; 01-24-2010 at 01:12 PM.

Images

scrub dogs

Hi Chuck,
    I was wondering how to hunt these dogs.I have alot of land I can hunt,have heard them but do not know to find them.If you could give me some pointers
    that would be great.
    Thanks,
    Ed
    Ed

I think the best way is to get a decent E-caller and a decoy, and go out and try it. A lot of guys use mouthcalls, but I think thats kinda tough to learn. Personally I've tried it a few times, but I'm not sure what its supposed to sound like so it makes it difficult to know when you have it right.

You can also go on a few sites and read a lot, one that comes to mind is Predatormasters. There is a TON of things to be learned by reading thru some of the posts, and the guys on it are generally pretty helpful. Also there are a few video's around that might help, I think Randy Anderson has a few that he demonstrates different mouth calls on.

I read anything I can find on hunting predators. A lot of it pertains to out west, but a lot is useful. One thing to keep in mind is that here in the East, if you go out 20 times you might see one dog. We just don't have the population of coyotes other areas have, and there is a decent amount of hunting pressure here that definitely educates them. And educated coyotes are tough to fool.

Cabelas has some decent stuff in the $50-100 range for callers, I recently bought a Mojo woodpecker decoy there for around 20 bucks on sale. A mouse squeaker is around 8 bucks, I've called 1 in using that. Lip squeaks will work too. Decoys are nice because they attract the dog's attention away from you, makes it a little easier if you have to move a little.

I hope this is helpful to you, its a tough sport.
    I have to tell ya-
    I don't get buck fever, I've seen and shot a fair amount of deer. BUT, when you have a coyote coming in that you called, and you're waiting for that shot; its enough to give me the shakes in a big way. And man is that fun.....

Chuck
    Last edited by CtChuck; 02-09-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Went out this weekend for a while. Called one in Friday, but couldn't get a shot. Called 2 in Saturday with JimR, I managed to miss the first one and the second one never slowed down..............
    Ya gotta love it.

Chuck

Images
    HOLY CRAP!!! I had heard a rumor that you missed but until you admitting it here I just suspected some story telling was involved....WOW, I'm in schock for 2 reasons. One you missed. Second, Jim didn't banish you from the shack for missing....you know how he gets!

Did he have the video camera? IF not, why wasn't I called upon to tote the camera??????

just got my lic for this year. maybe next week i can get out there

Quote Originally Posted by passinthru63 View Post
    HOLY CRAP!!! I had heard a rumor that you missed but until you admitting it here I just suspected some story telling was involved....WOW, I'm in schock for 2 reasons. One you missed. Second, Jim didn't banish you from the shack for missing....you know how he gets!

Did he have the video camera? IF not, why wasn't I called upon to tote the camera??????
    I think you were walking the dog.........

We were hunting in by the range, I was behind the bench maybe 20-25 feet against a a tree. Coyote came off the ridge and stopped 10 yards behind and above the 100 yd backstop. He stopped and went broadside, I thought he had seen me pick the gun up and was headed out. Took an off-hand shot at him, didn't even think I had time to crank the scope up ( was on 3X). End result was a flat-out miss with the Hornet. Hit the distress sound and waited to see if another one popped out, no luck. Stood up to tell JimR that I missed (never a good thing), saw a second one run right thru the same spot.........

Learned that I should bring the bipod, and shoulda had the scope up higher as it was open enough to see over 100 yds.

Jim saw the first one cross the road, said he was just a blur at that point....

Coyote 1, Chuck 0.......

Chuck

We had some luck at the bait pile, managed to get a small female and a mangy older dog. Here is a pic of the female........
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by CtChuck View Post
    We had some luck at the bait pile, managed to get a small female and a mangy older dog. Here is a pic of the female........
    Chuck,

Where do you hunt? Private or public land? What's your hardware rifle or shotgun? Let me know.
    Thanks

Mark