Thread: Spring Turkey

Spring Turkey

Does anyone know a good area around Oxford, Southbury area, or even just in the Valley for bow hunting spring turkey? and What type of calls are recomended for a beginer turkey hunter?

Thanks Joe

Images
    I would use a box call for starters its easy to use .
    Shoot a Coyote save a Fawn

Super Moderator/ CTHS Supporter Fishin` Fun 2 Champion, Turtleshot Champion, chopper2 Champion, Dead Eye - Hardcore Champion, Counterstrike - Lite Champion MoodusHunter's Avatar
    Its tough to use any calls with your hands when using a bow. I recomend going to the store and buying a cheap multi pack of diagphram calls. just walk arounf trying them out. There are plenty of how to online for using them.

Having your hands free is a necessity when hunting turkey with the bow.

Quote Originally Posted by MoodusHunter View Post
    Its tough to use any calls with your hands when using a bow. I recomend going to the store and buying a cheap multi pack of diagphram calls. just walk arounf trying them out. There are plenty of how to online for using them.

Having your hands free is a necessity when hunting turkey with the bow.
    Alright Thanks!

Basic turkey calls are so cheap, go with both. Add a slate too...once you get the fever,You'll never have enough calls..
    Mouth calls are not hard to use after a little practice.
    go here if you haven't yet
    http://www.midwestturkeycall.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CTtrapper View Post
    Basic turkey calls are so cheap, go with both. Add a slate too...once you get the fever,You'll never have enough calls..
    Mouth calls are not hard to use after a little practice.
    go here if you haven't yet
    http://www.midwestturkeycall.com/
    Thanks, Ill check them out, ill prob go up to Cabelas and check out some calls there too

I don't know that area at all as far as hunting but it's the same everywhere..put on your hiking boots and get out there and check it out.
    If your talking public land, spend as much time as you can not only figuring out the birds habits but also the hunters that you'll be competing with opening day. When I used to hunt state, the big problem was a lot of guys showing up the night before blowing Owl calls. It was like and invasion/migration of Barred Owls...Turkeys that were vocal every morning were stone cold quiet the next day.

Ill check out the areas around here, theres also a lot of land by Oxford High School where i know there are active turkeys in the spring i see them out of the class room windows!

Quote Originally Posted by CTtrapper View Post
    I don't know that area at all as far as hunting but it's the same everywhere..put on your hiking boots and get out there and check it out.
    If your talking public land, spend as much time as you can not only figuring out the birds habits but also the hunters that you'll be competing with opening day. When I used to hunt state, the big problem was a lot of guys showing up the night before blowing Owl calls. It was like and invasion/migration of Barred Owls...Turkeys that were vocal every morning were stone cold quiet the next day.
    Yep! I had that experience in the Natchaug forest...barred owls and crows as far as the ear could hear....no toms!

Rick C.