Thread: Coyote over bait leagal?

CTHS Supporter

Coyote over bait leagal?

I was told it is legal to hunt coyote over bait, example: hunting over a deer carcass. Is this true?

we do it. i use a water trough stick half the deer rack into the water let it freeze move it out to the edge of the pasture harder for them to drag off and they will jump up on the trough easyer to shoot. Sometimes we'll use multi trough setups in the pasture.

Super Moderator/CTHS Supporter Space Invaders Champion, Breakout Champion, Turbocharged Penguins! Champion StoneCrusher's Avatar
    Images
    I have always been under the impression that you can in CT; especially since there is no limits on #'2 of coyotes killed.
    But Like you, I have searched for the specific reg's on baiting coyotes. all I could find is that you can not bait coyotes when using legal metal traps on private property. also you must tag every coyote taken

on a side note:
    a cut-an-paste from ECON:
    "On private land you can not have a centerfire rifle with you unless you still have valid deer tags. (rifle must meet caliber requirements for deer and you need landowners written permission to hunt with rifle)

If you are on state land deerhunting and want to take a coyote you may do so, just be aware of the size limitation on shot...no larger or heavier than #2. Legally, you could carry #2 shot shells with you and after legal shooting hours for deer switch to them in your shotgun for coyote for the remaining 1/2 after sunset.

Images
    Can you use a Pistol to take a Coyote?

Allincamo
    Rifles and Handguns- Rifles or handguns using ammunition larger than .22 caliber rimfire long rifle cartridges are prohibited on state-owned land. Rifles or handguns of any caliber are prohibited on State-leased and Permit-Required Hunting Areas (see Permit-Required and State-Leased Hunting Area sections for exceptions). The use of rifles or handguns to hunt turkeys, waterfowl, or any other federally regulated migratory game bird (except crows) is prohibited. The use of handguns to hunt deer is prohibited. Hunting on private land with ammunition larger than .22 caliber rimfire long rifle during the private land shotgun/rifle deer season is prohibited unless the user has a valid private land deer season permit and landowner consent form. The use of rifles to hunt deer is subject to additional restrictions (see Private Land Shotgun/Rifle Season). The use of ammunition larger than .22 caliber rimfire long rifle to hunt raccoon or opossum at night is prohibited. A person using a handgun for hunting must possess any required state/town permits to carry. Note that it is legal to use .17 caliber rimfire firearms in all situations where it is legal to use .22 caliber rimfire long rifle firearms.

CTHS Supporter
    Thank you for the reply. We have quite a few of the buggers and I'm hoping to take a couple this winter.