Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ouestion for Encon

Images

Ouestion for Encon

Skip i was reading the new hunting regs for 2008 and i see that Zone 4a Restriction - “Antlerless Only” tag not valid in deer management zone 4a. Only the “Either-sex” deer tag will be valid in zone 4a.

What i would like to know is when are they going to give us back the other tag for this zone ?I hunt in this zone some and see more deer then years past.
    I dont understand why they have this small area restricted....
    Thanks Andy
    Shoot a Coyote save a Fawn

Images

Re: Ouestion for Encon

i'd like to ditto andy's question.
    for many seasons now this area has been exempt from our doe tags. what is the reason?
    i hunt a couple different areas and the population & doe to buck ratio seem to be the same. perhaps there is a different reason than simple population numbers?
    inquiring minds want to know ???

That's a question for the deer biologists in Franklin.* I honestly don't know.* Zone 4a (Yale forest) is on the other side of the state from me so it's an area that I don't get involved with.* If you call Franklin and ask for Howie Kilpatrick he may be able to shed some light on it.* ph 860-642-7239

Images

Thanks Skip i will give Howie a call and i post his reply to the question here ...

Images

andy, i look forward to the official reasoning behind this policy.

been curious as to the conditions surrounding the restriction in this area but i just never got around to doing the research.
    thanks in advance for the follow-up.* * * * * * mk

Images

I have not forgot ,,,i called 5 times today he is a very busy man i will try tomorrow*

Images

I finally talked to the people in north franklin here is the word the number of deer are not up to where they want them ,the new data is in for 2007 they have yet to sort it out by zones ,
    I asked when they might release the restriction for 4a he said maybe 2009 thats maybe....
    If i get any new data i will post it here..............

Cal45

From what I was told down there a lot of it has to do with the survey cards they get back after the season. If on the card where it asks if in your opinion the herd in a particular area where you hunt has increased, decreased or stayed the same weighs on their decision. I guess they got a lot of cards that said hunters had not seen a lot of deer in zone 4a so they put the restriction on. I don't think there is a shortage. I am watching three out on my back lawn feeding as I type this and I am in 4a.

I don't think there is a shortage. I am watching three out on my back lawn feeding as I type this and I am in 4a.
    I don't want to sound like a wise a$$ but how does seeing three deer in your yard mean there is no shortage?* The state does aerial deer counts every few years with snow on the ground. I think they rely on those numbers too but there are flaws in that method.

Hit a few more deer with your vehicles and the insurance companies will get your doe tags back!

Consider yourselves lucky, would you rather have baiting, a January season and kill them all?* Believe me, the deer numbers sightings in area 12 are few and far between ...

Images

Believe me, the deer numbers sightings in area 12 are few and far between ...
    Maybe they should reduce the number of tags for zone 12
    The numbers for the 2006-2007 aerial survey shows they is only an est population of* 1631 deer in zone 12...

In zone 4 the survey shows est population of 6922 this is a combine of both 4a and 4b* which is a heck of a lot of area 1000s of acres . ...