Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Deer with a Shotgun do you ...?

Question Hunting Deer with a Shotgun do you ...?

Do you prefer using a Slug round or Buckshot (size)? And why

I have heard that some property owners that will only allow slugs to be used on their property.

GregEmergency Dispatcher
    Currently living in Middletown, CT

Allincamo
    while shotgun hunting deer i use a 1 oz hollow point riffled slug!

why?

cause anything else but a single projectile is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Allincamo View Post
    cause anything else but a single projectile is illegal.

Thats a good reason LOL I only have slugs was just wondering if anyone used buckshot
    GregEmergency Dispatcher
    Currently living in Middletown, CT

Cal45
    I don't think anyone would admit to using buckshot in this state because it is illegal. I know the old man who lived next door to me use to always be telling me "One night" and he let go with both barrels loaded with double ohs. The only one I ever saw hit with 00 buckshot was at about 30 yards and hit in the lungs with only one pellet. I like my sabot slugs or even the pumpkin balls.

SwampYankee

I use buckshot

I use buckshot all the time works great to make up for all the flaws in the locks on my house. And the flaws with our system. I could never sleep without a gun in the house. How about the rest of you guys. I Just cannot imagine not being armed when every single bad guy out there is bet your ass on it.

Cal45
    I've got a niner standing by at all times. I also keep a 357 close by at night.

10 Point
    I grew up in southern Minnesota where we had to use slugs for deer. Buckshot wasn't legal and I wouldn't trust it unless the deer was really close. That being said, I did use it for Fox and it worked well. As far as type, there are much better slugs on the market now them we ever had at the time. Thankfully I moved north when I grew up and it's been rifle or bow ever since.
    Don
    creator of disabled sportspersons information at http://afarcry.info

Super Moderator/CTHS Supporter Space Invaders Champion, Breakout Champion, Turbocharged Penguins! Champion StoneCrusher's Avatar
    Images
    I used buck shot in FL on Deer and hogs. important to have only a broadside shot though. With a slug you can spine shoot your deer. straight down or facing away for a back of the skull shot. can't do that with buckshot.

CTHS Supporter
    I grew up in Jersey. Lot of guys used buck shot. Best results I heard of was a good friend of mine using buck shot in a Mossberg in 3.5 inch mag. All deer dropped on site. Shots were between 50 and 75 yards. I have to admit though I'm much happier up here shooting rifles.

I use slugs, just in case i need to reach out farther than I could with buck shot. besides I've recently switched to a 20g from 12g, and slug is definately more effective, not to mention the leagle thing