Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: homemade bow press

Super Moderator/ CTHS Supporter Fishin` Fun 2 Champion, Turtleshot Champion, chopper2 Champion, Dead Eye - Hardcore Champion, Counterstrike - Lite Champion MoodusHunter's Avatar

homemade bow press

Here is a pdf file for a homemade bow press. It contains instrunctions for both welding or bolting together. Make sure that you contact your bow manufacturer to determine the correct locations for pressure points.

http://www.forumlucznicze.pl/upload/...ress_Plans.pdf

Stonecrusher and I plan to build a few of these for ourselves/family. Depending on how it goes maybe even sell a few of them. I'll post some more info when the press construnction starts!

Super Moderator/ CTHS Supporter Fishin` Fun 2 Champion, Turtleshot Champion, chopper2 Champion, Dead Eye - Hardcore Champion, Counterstrike - Lite Champion MoodusHunter's Avatar
    Incase anyone is interested in building one look at http://www.speedymetals.com/

For the steel. total cost for enough to build one unit was $41 which included shipping and $73 for enough to build 2 presses. That was the steel for the press arms, legs and feet as well as the angle steel and the round stock. It comes cut to lengths as specified, which is an added bonus.

Stonecrusher and I have completed the building of our bow presses yesturday. Overall it took about 6 hours to build 2 of them, we built together while one was welding the other was drilling and so on. They worked on both of our bows and they look decent as well. Here are some pictures of my press with and without my bow in it. I still have to finish up the boat roller arms but that is relatively minor. I can now change my own strings and not have to drive to the archery shop for any little change! it wasn't difficult to build and costs around $80 to do it. that pays for itself with 2 visits to the archery shop! The #1 recomendation is used a drill press to drill all holes, otherwise it is next to impossible to hold a drill pefect when going through the steel. We made a slight modification of using a chain to help with making additional adjustments for different bows, added cost of less than $0.50.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator/CTHS Supporter Space Invaders Champion, Breakout Champion, Turbocharged Penguins! Champion StoneCrusher's Avatar
    Images

my press

Moodus and I made our bow presses. They were not too hard to make. One suggestion to anyone making one: use a drill press to drill the holes and not a hand-held power drill. Other than that, everything went together fine and will work on older bows and the newer parrallel limb designs.

Here is a picture of my 2009 Martin Moab.

Although not specifically in the instructions, I feel that it is necessary to add the chain for easier adjustments to different bows.

And now that I look at the pictures, I would consider making the legs a further apart for added stability.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by StoneCrusher; 11-09-2009 at 07:39 PM.

Images
    That thing looks good!!!!! Good job
    "Go afield with a good attitude,with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." FRED BEAR

sorry to resurrect an old post, but.... will this press work for USL past parallel limb bows like PSE Bow Madness?

It should. I
    ve done my old bear instinct which was preloaded parallel. Since you can adjust the hole locations I would place some additional holes near the edge of the T bar. ALso you might want to shorten up the T bar some as well that will put the arms more vertical.

One suggestion use a drill press for the holes because without it your drill will wonder and the holes won't line up well.

Thanks for the quick reply! I was looking at some other types of presses out there and didn't know if I needed to have those "fingers" on it to press from the limb ends?

you shouldn't need any of the fingers. The multiple hole locations allow for youto move the rollers to hold the bow in place.

Since you can adjust the hole locations I would place some additional holes near the edge of the T bar. ALso you might want to shorten up the T bar some as well that will put the arms more vertical
    What exactly are you calling the T-bar - the main beam? What edge exactly?

Sorry for all the Q's!
    Last edited by tracknut; 03-04-2012 at 11:44 AM.