Thread: Dog training ?

8 Point
    Images

Dog training ?

My question in regards to bird dog training areas. I see you can use live birds and during season they can be harvested. I can't find when you aren't able to train on the training area. Thought I read somewhere no training the day before Openning of small game. My other question as far as training on other land open to hunting. I thought you can though not allowed to release live birds and is their a season you can or can't train on these public lands. All my
    concerns are about traning on public lands. Dog training areas when and when
    not allowed too train. Also public land in general, when and when not allowed to train.
    I have been training and doing so in many different areas and now want to get into a few other places to keep the dogs interests up without Law beaking
    This close to the opener got concerned about Laws about training. I know at one time it had restrictions and even thought the 4th of October I might have
    read.

Thanks

My buddy and I train with live pigeons out in simsbury at the training field, we havent had any problems and I dont think we are breaking any laws.

From the regulations:

HUNTING DOGS
    26-49-1 Training
    The training of hunting dogs shall be permitted in the field at any time except as provided in section 26-66-3(i), provided due care shall be exercised to avoid injury to any protected wildlife.

26-49-2. Hunting dog training areas
    (a) The size of the area where dog training is permitted shall be not more than 300 acres; however, the area where the shooting of birds will be permitted in connection with dog training shall be not less than five acres nor more than ten acres in size and shall be in a single block.
    (b) The external boundaries of the dog training area shall be conspicuously posted and the area where the shooting of birds is permitted in connection with dog training shall be adequately posted by the permittee at intervals of not more than 100 feet with conspicuous signs of a size not less than 11" X 16". These signs shall include the name of the permittee and the words “Regulated Dog Training Area ... Authorized under regulations of the Department of Environmental Protection.”
    (c) The area where the shooting of birds is permitted in connection with dog training shall be in a location that does not conflict with any reasonable prior public interest, shall be suitable for the purpose, where the discharge of firearms will not endanger public safety, and shall be on or in close proximity to the private shooting preserve, game farm or commercial kennel of the permittee.
    (d) Only artificially propagated pheasant, chukar partridge, quail, ducks and pigeons of either sex may be liberated and shot.
    (e) All birds liberated shall be full-winged and capable of maintaining normal flight and shall be in a condition suitable to maintain themselves in the wild.
    (f) No game bird or pigeon shall be permanently confined on the area where shooting is permitted in connection with the training of dogs by use of any device.
    (g) All birds after they are shot in connection with dog training, shall be identified with a tag obtained from the Department at a fee of ten cents each.
    (h) The permittee shall keep accurate written daily records which shall be open to inspection by any duly authorized representative of the department at any reasonable time. These records shall include:
    (1) The name of each person hunting on the area, the day the person was hunting and amount of game, pheasant, quail, chukar partridge and ducks taken each day.
    (2) The number of all pheasants, quail, chukar partridge, and ducks liberated on the area included in the permit, together with the dates when such birds were liberated. Not later than thirty days following the period for which the permit was issued, the permittee shall submit to the department, a true copy of his records on forms provided by the department.

26-16-2. Limitations on public use of state controlled Field Trial and Dog Training Areas.
    The public use of state-owned and state-controlled dog training and field trial areas administered by the Department of Environmental Protection shall conform with the following regulations:
    (a) The area shall be closed for all purposes from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise.
    (b) There shall be no other use of the area while an authorized field dog trial is being conducted.
    (c) Running and training of dogs is restricted to the area so posted.
    (d) Discarding of trash is prohibited.
    (e) Garbage, trash and other materials shall not be brought to the area for disposal.
    (f) Vehicles shall be parked only in authorized locations.
    (g) The maximum speed of any vehicle shall not exceed 20 miles per hour.
    (h) Kindling or open fires is prohibited.
    (i) Camping is prohibited, except with written authorization from the Department of Environmental Protection.
    (j) Gambling in any form, disorderly conduct, intoxication, obscene or indecent behavior is prohibited.
    (k) Damaging any building, fence, facility, poster, tree or shrub is prohibited.
    (l) No notice, poster or sign shall be erected or placed without permission of the Department of Environmental Protection.
    (m) Horses shall be kept off the oil-treated portion of any roadway.
    (n) Only artificially propagated gamebirds (pheasants, chukar partridge, quail, ducks), and pigeons of either sex may be liberated. Special permits for other birds or animals must be obtained from the Department of Environmental Protection.
    (o) All birds liberated shall be full winged and capable of maintaining normal flight and shall be in a condition suitable to maintain themselves in the wild.
    (p) No birds or animals are to be shot except during the open season; use of blank cartridges will be permitted. This restriction shall not apply to field trials held at Nod Brook management area, Dr. John E. Flaherty Field Trial Area or Mansfield Hollow Dam which are sanctioned by AKC, CASDFTA, or NAVHDA.
    (q) Upon the completion of a field trial, no dogs shall be allowed to run free on the area until the morning of the following day.

Sec. 26-16-3a. Limitations of public use of state controlled wildlife management areas (a) Target shooting is prohibited on any wildlife management area unless so designated by the Department. (b) All-terrain vehicles, motorcycles, snowmobiles, and all other motorized vehicles shall be prohibited on any wildlife management area unless so designated by the Department. (c) Horses and other riding animals shall be prohibited on any wildlife management area posted against such activities. (d) Except as provided in Section 26-16-2, camping is prohibited on any state controlled Wildlife Management Area, except on the Sessions Woods Wildlife Management Area where camping, conducted in conjunction with an educational program approved by the Commissioner, shall be permitted only if authorized in writing by the Commissioner. (e) Wildlife Management Areas shall be closed to the public from one-half hour after sunset until
    one-half hour before sunrise except for hunting, fishing or other activities authorized by the Department. (f) Dogs must be on a leash no longer than seven (7) feet and under the control of their owner or keeper. The person responsible for the dog, must hold the leash at all times. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to the proper use of dogs while in the act of hunting or the training of dogs for the specific purpose of hunting, however all dogs may be prohibited on any area or during any time period when so posted by the Department.

26-66-3. Open hunting seasons and bag limits for upland game birds and quadrupeds
    (i) There shall be a closed season for all hunting and the training of dogs from the first Saturday in October through 7:00 a.m., e.d.t. On the third Saturday in October except for turkey and archery deer hunting; rail and gallinule hunting in tidal marsh; waterfowl hunting; the hunting of foxes and rabbits under the provisions of section 26-39 of the general statutes as amended; hunting on licensed private shooting preserves operating under the provisions of section the provisions of Section 26-49 of the general statutes as amended; or the training of hunting dogs on any area approved by the Department for this purpose.

8 Point
    Images
    Training
    The training of hunting dogs shall be permitted in the field at any time except as provided in section 26-66-3(i), provided due care shall be exercised to avoid injury to any protected wildlife.

There shall be a closed season for all hunting and the training of dogs from the first Saturday in October through 7:00 a.m., e.d.t. On the third Saturday in October except for turkey and archery deer hunting; rail and gallinule hunting in tidal marsh; waterfowl hunting; the hunting of foxes and rabbits under the provisions of section 26-39 of the general statutes

These two seem to conflict at times, the first paragraph from your reply and the last paragraph.
    I do understand if a season is open then dogs are allowed to be in used for hunting those speices.

encon thanks for the information I too was wondering about that

astro

8 Point
    Images
    Thanks Encon, ignore my last post I didn't read the section number correctley