Attention: Starting in 2009, there are new regulations concerning the tagging and reporting of deer and turkey kills.

1. Immediately upon making your kill, complete a Deer/Turkey Kill Tag. The Kill Tag must be kept with your deer or turkey until it is processed for consumption. While transporting your kill, you may keep the Kill Tag in your pocket or wallet. However, if you leave the kill, the completed Kill Tag must remain with the animal.
2. All deer taken from Nov. 18 through Nov. 21, even those taken by bow, must be brought to a check station. A listing of deer check stations is available on the DEP's website and at DEP offices. However, deer taken under a Landowner Permit do not have to be brought to a check station.
3. All turkeys and deer taken during other periods must be reported within 24 hours via the DEP's website or by telephone at the toll-free number, 1-877-337-4868 (1-877-DEP-HUNT).
4. If you report your kill by telephone, you will need to know the 3-digit number code of the town in which the animal was killed. A table on page 36 of the Hunting and Trapping Guide lists Connecticutís 169 towns and their identifying number codes. The Town Number Code Table (pdf) is also available on the DEP's website.
5. After reporting your kill via the internet or by telephone, you will be given a confirmation number to write on your kill tag. This confirmation number will serve as proof that you have legally reported your kill.
6. At any time, you can log on to Connecticut's Online Hunter Harvest Reporting System to review the kill reports you have previously submitted.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Why did the DEP change the way hunters have to tag and report deer and turkey harvests?

The new regulations are designed to make the purchase of deer and turkey permits more convenient for sportsmen, save money on the printing and distribution of permits and tags, and to improve the methods of monitoring the harvest of deer and turkeys. The Department recognizes that it may take time for some hunters to adapt to the new system. But, it is hoped that hunters will soon benefit from its convenience.

2. Where can I get copies of the new Deer/Turkey Kill Tags?

Deer/Turkey Kill Tags are on the DEP's website and on page 37 of the Hunting and Trapping Guide. You may photocopy or print Kill Tags as needed. Handwritten versions of these kill tags may also be used.
Handwritten versions must also be signed and include your Conservation ID Number, your name, date and time of kill, town of kill, and the type of permit and tag that you used.

3. Won't the new paper Deer/Turkey Kill Tags get easily lost or destroyed in the field?

While transporting your game in the field, the new Deer/Turkey Kill Tags do not have to be attached to the carcass. You can keep your completed kill tag in your pocket or wallet while transporting your game. However, if you leave the animal in the woods or at a vehicle, the Kill Tag must remain with the animal. At these times, it is recommended that you place the Kill Tag in a plastic bag and secure it to the animal.

4. How do I know how many and what kind of tags come with my permit?
The number and types of tags that comes with each deer and turkey permit are printed in the annual Hunting and Trapping Guide. This information is also available in the online version of the Hunting &
Trapping Guide. In the future, the number and types of tags for each permit will print out on your license.

Deer Permits Number of Tags
Archery Permit
4 Tags (Statewide: 2 Either Sex and 2 Antlerless)
2 Tags (January - Zones 11 and 12: 1 Either Sex and 1 Antlerless)
Private Land Shotgun/Rifle Permit 2 Tags (1 Either Sex and 1 Antlerless)
State Land Lottery Permit - Areas 1 through 27 1 Either Sex Tag
Lottery Controlled Hunt Permit - Area 51 2 Tags (1 Either Sex and 1 Antlerless)
Lottery Controlled Hunt Permit - Area 52 2 Tags (1 Either Sex and 1 Antlerless)
Lottery Controlled Hunt Permit - Area 53 1 Either Sex Tag
Lottery Controlled Hunt Permit - Area 54 1 Either Sex Tag
Lottery Controlled Hunt Permit - Area 56 4 Tags (2 Either Sex and 2 Antlerless)
Lottery Controlled Hunt Permit - Area 57 2 Tags (1 Either Sex and 1 Antlerless)
Lottery Controlled Hunt Permit - Area 58 4 Tags (2 Either Sex and 2 Antlerless)
No-Lottery Permit 1 Either Sex Tag
Private Land Muzzleloader Permit 2 Tags (1 Either Sex and 1 Antlerless)
State Land Muzzleloader Permit 1 Either Sex Tag
Landowner Permit 2 Tags (1 Either Sex and 1 Antlerless)

Turkey Permits Number of Tags
Spring Private Land Permit 3 Bearded Bird Tags
Spring State Land Permit 2 Bearded Bird Tags
Spring Landowner Permit 3 Bearded Bird Tags
Private Land Fall Firearms Permit 2 Either Sex Tags
State Land Fall Firearms Permit 1 Either Sex Tag
Fall Firearms Landowner Permit 2 Either Sex Tags
Fall Archery Permit 2 Either Sex Tags
Fall Archery Landowner Permit 2 Either Sex Tags

5. What keeps illegal hunters from copying and using as many kill tags as they want?

Within 24 hours of making a kill, a hunter must write a kill report confirmation number on their kill tag. If a kill tag does not contain a valid report confirmation number, the hunter is in violation of regulations and may be prosecuted. Environmental Conservation Police will be able to check the Hunter Reporting database to see if a hunter has properly reported their harvest and how may animals were harvested under each permit. The Department knows that the vast majority of our sportsmen are honest and ethical.
There are of course always some individuals who may try to abuse the system. If this abuse is discovered, these individuals will be charged with a violation.

6. How do I report my deer and turkey kills and get a kill report confirmation number?

You can report your kill on the Departmentís website or by calling the toll free number 1-877-337-4868. After reporting your kill you will be given a confirmation number to write on your Kill Tag. This
confirmation number serves as proof that you have legally reported your kill. You may find that submitting kill reports on the Departmentís website is much easier than using the telephone reporting system. The telephone reporting system uses an automated attendant that prompts you to answer a series of questions by pressing the appropriate numbered responses. On the website, you answer questions by using convenient drop-down menus. Other advantages of using the website to report your kill is that you
can review reports they you have previously submitted and print out copies of these reports for your records.

7. What happens if I can't figure out how to report my kill and get a confirmation number?

If you have trouble using the online or telephone reporting system, try again at a later time. If you still can not successfully submit a report, call 860-642-7239 or 860-675-8130 for assistance Monday through Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm. Or, email Dep.HunterReporting@ct.gov.

8. Do I still have to bring my deer to a check station?

Deer taken on the first four days of the shotgun/rifle deer season (Nov. 18 - Nov. 21), even those taken by bow, must be brought to a check station. At other times you must report kills either online or by telephone. However, if you hunt deer in Zones 11 and 12 and want a Replacement Antlerless or Earn-a-Buck Tag, you must register your deer at a Replacement Tag Check Station after submitting your kill
report and writing the confirmation number on your kill tag. Deer taken under a Landowner Permit do not have to be brought to a check station.

9. Do I still have to mail in Kill Report cards?

No. You should discard any old mail-in Kill Cards that you still may have. You now must report kills either online or by telephone.

10. I have a Landowner Permit. Do I also have to use the new tagging and reporting system?

Yes. All kills using a Landowner Permit must use the new tagging and reporting system.

11. I still have the old style tags that came with my 2009 Archery Deer Permit. Can I still use them to tag my deer during the 2009 Fall Season?

No. You should destroy and discard these old tags and use the new tagging and reporting system.

12. What does the 3-digit number town code mean?

To report your kill by telephone, you will need to punch in a 3-digit number that represents the town where you made the kill. A table listing the 3-digit number code for each town is in the Hunting and
Trapping Guide and is also available on the department's website. Town Number Code Table

13. I hunt deer in Zones 11 and 12. How do I get my Replacement Antlerless and Earn-a-Buck Tags?

Immediately upon making your kill of an antlerless deer, complete a Deer/Turkey Kill Tag (pdf). Then,report your kill on the DEP's website or by telephone at the toll-free number, 1-877-337-4868
Write the kill report confirmation number on your kill tag and then bring your antlerless deer and properly completed kill tag to one of the participating Replacement Tag Check Stations. The check
station operator may reissue you a replacement tag only after these steps have been completed.

14. How do I use and report on my Replacement Antlerless and Earn-a-Buck Tags?

Immediately upon making your kill, punch out and remove the circles on the tag which indicate the month and the day. Then, report your kill on the DEP's website or by telephone at the toll-free number, 1-877-337-4868 (1-877-DEP-HUNT). Write the kill report confirmation number on your tag. If you used a replacement antlerless tag and want another tag, bring your antlerless deer, tag, and report confirmation
number to one of the participating Replacement Tag Check Stations.

Connecticut's Online Hunter Harvest Reporting System is currently not active. When the system is activated, the links on this page will direct you to a web page where you can submit and review your kill reports.