Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Hunting Lease

S.E. Mass. Except Deer season then you re apt to find me hanging around any ol tree!!

New Hunting Lease

Well guys I don't know if I feel good or bad about this. I have been trying to find new places in CT. to hunt for the past 3 years with no luck. The folks who I have been hunting their land are old and dieing. I am down to my last 40 Ac. and this guy signs permits for any one who asks. So 3 of my friends and myself have decided to pool our money and see if we can lease land to hunt. Well we just leased a 100 Ac. farm in Lebanon Ct. for $1000.00 or $250.00 each. I have never done this before and I really hope this is not the start of something up and coming or maybe its just that I'm a nonresident and no one wants us on their property. At any rate wish us luck there seems to be a fair amount of deer on the property.

I'm surprised leasing in CT hasn't happened sooner but figure it was coming. I know some waterfowl guides who are doing it.

The land isn't free, makes sense to help out financially in certain cases.

This sounds like a good idea, especialy for farmers who may need all the $ they can get stay a float.

About leasing land. It may violate the following, stated in the DEP guide:

"Landowners who allow, without fee, the recreational use of their property are protected from liability by Connecticut law..."

I could be wrong, but leasing land like this and a resulting lawsuit would be bad news.

Cal45
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormshadow View Post

"Landowners who allow, without fee, the recreational use of their property are protected from liability by Connecticut law..."

I could be wrong, but leasing land like this and a resulting lawsuit would be bad news.
    Wouldn't even want to speculate on that. Having enough trouble with a salt water fishing license.

Quote Originally Posted by "Stormshadow

Yup, you're right but don't believe for a second some sweet talking lawyer couldn't make it happen, leased or not ...

6 Point
    i would spend my time looking at state land. that is lot of money for 100 Ac in CT. i would spend more time talking to land owes. i have had good luck ask to hunt land.
    if you want to lease land go to the north American hunting club. they can help you. if i was go to spend that kind of money i would want to be sure that i was getting my money worth.
    good luck
    sean

That state statute mentioned is one of the main reasons why leasing hasn't caught on in CT. If it was to change, many, many farmers would take advantage of it for the added income. The CT Farm Bureau has worked in the past to reverse that but to date has been unsuccessful.
    Now then, get your weapons--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.
    Genesis 27:3

6 Point
    there are many states like Texas and other where the only way to hunt is land lease. this is one of the reasons that the number of local hunter keep going down. there are many place where you have to pay a trespass fee to hunt that cost a hundred + buck per person. If this was the case in CT there would be a lot less hunting. you wouldn't be able to afford to hunt. could you take a 1000 + just to hunt deer ever year.
    If you have to lease land to hunt this only raise the cost of hunting witch means less hunter can hunt. I have see land leasing an a way to stop hunting. hunting has turned into a cash cow for land owners and the more money they can get the more the land owners want.
    I know that land owner have right but where does it stop. there is no public hunting in Texas and one reason it to protect land owner hunting leases.
    good luck
    sean

Button Buck
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spike_horn View Post
    Yup, you're right but don't believe for a second some sweet talking lawyer couldn't make it happen, leased or not ...

Yeah, too bad that's a state law and not a federal law. I've cited this law to several friends who are lawyers in CT and I was openly mocked each time. One's exact quote was, "if you own land and let someone hunt on it and that individual happens to get injured during that allowed activity, no laminated piece of paper from a CT DEEP magazine is going to save you from having every last, available dime bled from you."