Thread: Judge Rules 9-Year-Old Too Young for Shotgun

Images

Judge Rules 9-Year-Old Too Young for Shotgun

A judge in Washington state has granted a temporary restraining order preventing a Spokane man from giving his 9-year-old son access to a shotgun until he turns 12 and completes a hunter safety class. The boy’s mother, Laura Visvydas, sought the order after the boy shot the gun with his father, Sean Fawcett, and returned home with a bruised shoulder.
    From the April 14 issue of The Spokesman-Review:
    “Not only has Sean provided our 9-year-old son a shotgun, but he has allowed him to take it out and shoot it,” Visvydas wrote in court records. “Guns are unquestionably dangerous.” …
    [Dennis] Cronin, Fawcett’s lawyer, said he had a declaration from a firearms instructor indicating that 9-year-olds could safely handle firearms. The boy also went through a rifle safety program and obtained a certificate March 1.
    “You don’t see people coming in saying (the) child can’t go swimming in the lake at 9 because he might drown,” Cronin said in the court minutes. “Essentially what they are saying, with no facts, (is) ‘restrain him from letting his father teach him to be around and supervise his use of a firearm because he might get hurt.’”
    How old were you when you first learned to shoot a gun? If you’re a parent, how about your kids? Should an issue like this even be decided by a judge?

http://www.nrahuntersrights.org/
    Shoot a Coyote save a Fawn

14 pointer
    Images
    A judge should have, no say, on this decission. I believe it is up to the parent to decide when their child is mature enough to learn , and except, the responsibility of safe firearm handling. I've seen grown men who had no responsibility, or bussiness handling a firearm.

Kenny

Super Moderator/ CTHS Supporter Fishin` Fun 2 Champion, Turtleshot Champion, chopper2 Champion, Dead Eye - Hardcore Champion, Counterstrike - Lite Champion MoodusHunter's Avatar
    I learned to shoot small caliber weapons at 6! I still get bruises on my shoulder now, does that mean I should not be allowed to shoot? Complete nonsense, I really can't stand anti gun people (which the mother must be). I'm just waiting for the government to tell me I'm not allowed to have a gun because it might be unsafe for someone. the person that they will be refering to is the one that comes to try and take my guns.

Images
    i can't help but remember the boy whose "guardians" thought it safe for him to shoot an uzi automatic. no right answer here. IMHO

Cal45
    Quote Originally Posted by MoodusHunter View Post
    I still get bruises on my shoulder now, does that mean I should not be allowed to shoot?
    I also still get bruises on my shoulder and at 60 years old I certainly don't think that I'm too young to shoot. It just means I'm still a little soft. I don't think that a judge should decide this. It should be between the parents and if they can't agree then well what does the current law say?

Super Moderator/CTHS Supporter Space Invaders Champion, Breakout Champion, Turbocharged Penguins! Champion StoneCrusher's Avatar
    Images
    It should not be surprizing that the gov would do this. They limit drinking ages and driving ages to protect people. They baning cig smoking in many areas and helmet laws for bikers in many states. they are always telling us what is best for us.
    We also don't have the full story or his background (drunk/drugs/crime,...), just the results of the judge order. I can think of plenty of parents that are fully capable (mentally stable with proper gun safety) to permitt their kids to use guns at a young age. I was also shooting a .22 by 6 or 7. My 7 year old girl has shot a .22 several times.
    On the other hand, I don't think that a 9 yr old should be shooting a shotgun. It is too much gun for such a tiny kid. I was not ready for the kick of a 12 guage until probably 13-14yrs old.

In my opinion for the court to get involved in "parenting" there should be signs of abuse, neglect or evidence of a crime. From what the father's attorney stated the boy participated in safety training for a rifle. As long as the boy was supervised and no laws were broken the court should stay out of it. My son gets bruises from running, jumping and falling down all day long. I hope the court one day doesn't order him to stop playing.

I can't remember how old I was (maybe 8 -10) when I first shot a shotgun, but it was a .410. I know at 12 I was shooting a 20 guage. I hope this kid at 9 was shooting a 410 or at the most a 20 guage with number 8 shot.

Forkhorn
    kids are wayyyyyy too sheltered now