Thread: Raise Training Birds

Images

Raise Training Birds

Anyone here raise their own birds for training?

8 Point
    Images
    Yes I raise birds, have some chukars and quail.

I used to raise quail, pheasants and chukar partridge.
    Smoke free for 1 Year! 03/20/08 - 09
    [SIGPIC]http://www.cthuntingnshooting.com/vBforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6&dateline=1236442912[/SIGPIC]

Images
    Can you tell me a little about it? What are they kept in, feed etc? Just wondering if its possible where I live. Thanks.

CTHS Supporter
    Images
    i believe their just like rasing chickens, so you would need a small coop or hut, depending on their size when you get them or hatch them from eggs, you would need heat lamps when their chicks plus a starter/grower feed until they grow large enough to go on an regular feed. if you live in the city or a more suburban area, you would want to check w/ the town hall for zoning regulations concerning livestock/poultry on you property, as they would be considered a livestock/poultry animal and many areas have regulations on how many you can keep especially when it comes to having roosters. check out meyerhatchery.com ideal-poultry.com or even backyardchickens.com lots of info about raising poultry w/ those links

First you need a license from the state. You need to track the numbers raised and where they went.
    If you're going to raise quail, you want to build yourself a "McCarty" pen.
    4' x 8' of which 2' x 4' is the house. It is off the ground and has 1/2" hardware cloth floor.
    Try to google it and you might come up with a plan for one. Not hard to make but some important features.
    Spring loaded door for house that can be closed when you push birds in for the night.
    Side door with catch box for driving birds out of house and into carry box.

Best bet is to buy eggs and incubate them yourself. Then you'll need to brood them for a few weeks until they are ready for the outdoors. Quail will be full grown adults at 13 weeks.
    If you have specific questions let me know and I'll try to help you out.
    Smoke free for 1 Year! 03/20/08 - 09
    [SIGPIC]http://www.cthuntingnshooting.com/vBforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6&dateline=1236442912[/SIGPIC]

Images
    Interesting stuff guys, thanks alot. Not sure if it feasable where I live but worth checking out.

Forkhorn
    goto your town hall. you probably dont have the correct zoning for rasing non "pet" animals in east hartford. i know even in vernon i couldnt.