Thread: State to tag deer with GPS

smokepole

State to tag deer with GPS

State to tag deer with GPS
    By Meredith Blake

Collisions between cars and deer along the Merritt Parkway are a problem in town--one that state researchers are hoping to help solve.

The Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station is going to put GPS monitors on deer in the Bab**** Preserve on North Street to monitor their behavior for one year to determine how often and when they cross the busy roadway, with the aim of using the research to warn motorists where to be most diligent and at what time of day, according to Scott Williams, research scientist at the New Haven-based station.

"It's a more targeted approach," he said.

Researchers will be conducting the study throughout the state. They were looking for town-owned properties along roadways and approached officials in Greenwich about using the Bab**** Preserve, because it is one-half a mile north of the Merrit Parkway, according to Denise Savageau, director of the town Conservation Commission. She also recommended that they look at the Ernest Thompson Seton Scout Reservation on Riversville Road, because it is bisected by the parkway, she said.

The researchers will capture the deer over the next few weeks by baiting and tranquilizing them, then placing the tracking equipment on their necks, Williams said. This a common practice for deer monitoring, done frequently throughout the state.

A study of deer movement several years ago determined that deer generally moved in a north to south path in town and lived primarily in

watershed areas, according to Savageau. It also confirmed that there was a large population in the community, she said.

But no agency has ever used the monitoring as a means to study how the animals interact with the roadway, which is a barrier to their habitat, he said.

Collisions between cars and deer are a major problem along the Merritt Parkway, according to State Police Lt. Paul Vance. Anytime an animal wanders onto the roadway, it can scare motorists and cause collisions, he said.

"It's a real problem," he said.

Currently the state Department of Transportation has signs that line the highway to warn motorists. But Williams calls them, "totally useless."

"Because people get used to them and no longer pay attention," he said.

There are also low 4-foot fences along the Merritt Parkway in places that are meant to funnel the deer to underpasses, he said. This monitoring program will help to determine the effectiveness of those fences, he said.

Williams said the research will help engineers create safer roadways and better target areas where deer are most problematic, he said.

Super Moderator/ CTHS Supporter Fishin` Fun 2 Champion, Turtleshot Champion, chopper2 Champion, Dead Eye - Hardcore Champion, Counterstrike - Lite Champion MoodusHunter's Avatar
    I think the study in dumb and a very large waste of money. They already have all the statistics needed to compile dates/times/location of deer crossings. JUST LOOK AT THE VEHICLE/DEER COLLISIONS, I'm certain there are reports filed. Using that data alone all of the necessary information can be determined. No need to tranquilze deer, place a GPS collar on each one and monitor the movements over the course of several years(it would have to take this long b/c some years there is a good mast crop sometimes not obviously changing movement paterns). It costs too much money that can be spent in other more needed locations.

my $.02
    Last edited by MoodusHunter; 03-06-2009 at 06:06 PM.

S.E. Mass. Except Deer season then you re apt to find me hanging around any ol tree!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MoodusHunter View Post
    I think the study in dumb and a very large waste of money. They already have all the statistics needed to compile dates/times/location of deer crossings. JUST LOOK AT THE VEHICLE/DEER COLLISIONS, I'm certain there are reports filed. Using that data alone all of the necessary information can be determined. No need to tranquilze deer, place a GPS collar on each one and monitor the movements over the course of several years(it would have to take this long b/c some years there is a good mast crop sometimes not obviously changing movement paterns). It costs too much money that can be spent in other more needed locations.

my $.02

You hit that right on the button!!
    Last edited by MoodusHunter; 03-06-2009 at 06:06 PM.

Super Moderator/CTHS Supporter Space Invaders Champion, Breakout Champion, Turbocharged Penguins! Champion StoneCrusher's Avatar
    Images
    yup, a complete waste of money. the splatter on the road is evidence enough.

But on the other hand, it may give a hacker something to do in his spare time. Just hack the GPS site and watch the deer movement from home.