Thread: Everybody Ready?

Everybody Ready?

Its coming fast! was out last week finishing up a mini clover plot and checking stands unfortunately had a tree fall on a ladder stand and mangled it all up good thing I never use it or else I might be a little more upset about it. what kind of stuff have you all been up to?

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Iím ready to go.

The deer are are getting ready as well.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Not sure if I'll even get out until second week of season. Swamped with bats in attics. But, I am getting excited, especially with the cooler temps and seeing a lot of deer around. Haven't been in the woods since turkey season. Lots of acorns here and that's usually a good sign for the oak ridge I hunt.
    Anyone going for geese or squirrel this week?
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    I may get out for bear this week. We will see how it goes.

Iím no great threat to the Bear population.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Had today off, so I got to sleep in for a change. Just before noon, i headed into the woods. I had a tree or two in mind at a grove of white and red oaks. I've had a stand in this area for the last 15 years or so. Not always the best tree. Its like a game picking the right one. Sometimes I do, sometimes not. But I've killed six deer there, and probably missed just as many more. So, with a tree in mind, as I get there at noon, there's a doe with one fawn feeding under it. I watched them for a few minutes until the doe saw me smack a skeeter on my neck, and trotted off. A few piles of fresh scat confirmed my hopes. Loc-on stand in place, with a northeast wind, it'll be my first choice on this property.

On the down side, I have to bring my tractor to this property to clear the right of way trail. The neighbor cut a bunch of fire bushes and piled the brush in the path. It will be hell to try to get through it in the dark, and no way to drive my truck in if I get one. Only about four and a half miles, so I can drive the tractor there... again. Some downed trees that need cutting too, so I'll make a day of it. Hopefully the activity won't disturb the deer too much. It's mostly at the start of the property where I don't hunt anyway.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    Hopefully the activity won't disturb the deer too much. It's mostly at the start of the property where I don't hunt anyway.
    people say deer love chainsaws come looking after for some fresh tops

Finally got my climber and my bow is tuned! Probably going to be after-work hunting for me since south zone goose is calling my name this year.

Great to see people chiming in again before the season. First year doing bow as a CT resident so it'll be interesting to see how thick the deer actually are in Fairfield county.