Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkey Time

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images

Turkey Time

Its finally here, who's going? I'll be out with the longbow for a couple hours.
    Good luck all.

NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Good luck.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Saw three deer and heard a hen behind my blind. Didn't see her. Not one gobble on the property. It's a hit or miss spot typically, but the landowner has been seeing them. Out at 9:30. Would've stayed longer but my neck stiffened up to the point I could hardly move my head.
    Anyone else get out?

I got out on state land this morning. Saw nothing. Heard nothing. They were all over the place last week so who knows they are most likely still there just had a case of lock jaw this morning, plus the fog was rolling in and out at one point I couldn't even see my decoy at 20 yards. Left around 10 to head to work. I didn't even see a deer only thing I heard was a wood duck. Will hit it again on Saturday.

Uninvited Guest

Sounds like it was just a bad day for gobbling. Went out to some state land this morning and got there around 3 to try and hold down a spot. Not a single bird talking this morning, even in the distance. Must've been 5 other trucks nearby and never hear a shot fired.

Had a female yote sneak into the set about 20 mins after I went quiet. She was wiffing the air b-lining for the decoy and I put her down at about 15yds. Left for work shortly after she broke up the party. Be back after em tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got out this morning. Sitting by 0445. Heard one gobble on state land that is usually a haunted house with all the gobbles you hear but they were quiet today. Two minutes after the gobble two shots rang out. Packed it up and was out of the woods by 0730.

Best of luck to everyone this year.
    Stay safe.

Images
    Wow, first time I've checked the forum since last year and theres a post to look at! Haha.

Went out to the farm this morning with DU and another bud, Alex. Got in about 4:30. What a beautiful morning. Set up two Jake decoys and hen in the corner of a field under an area where some birds have been roosting. Just before legal the hammering started from deep in the woods off to our west. Couple started calling closer to us a few minutes after that. 5:50 hits and a hen jumps from a pine just off to our side and cupped into the decoys like a duck. That was awesome. We were spread out about 20 yards apart in a hedgerow. Thought at first she spotted one of us but luckily she didn't. I broke out the call and started purring and putting to her. Got her talking like crazy for a few minutes. Then a real young jake popped his head out of the wood line. He joined the hen, pecking around the decoys. Meanwhile the hammering was still happening. Finally got a tom committed to my calling and he worked our way for a solid 20 minutes or so before breaking out of the woods. That last hammer he let off before showing himself was so loud. Once he showed I sent out a couple purrs and then went quiet. He was hot and angry and made a break straight to the decoys. 30 seconds later he was on the ground. DU and I hit the trigger at the same time on my call so that was a nice double up. Alex, up the hill from me by about 40 yards could still see the jake. He decided to take it once we shot the tom. We were filling out a couple tags by 6:30 so that was nice. Birds were still talking down in the woods so we decided to make a move across the field to a new spot to set up again and try for another bird. Couldn't get any of the boys to come out and play but three hens hit the field. Also had three deer just down hill from our spread for a good while. That was a nice treat. Right about then the wind picked up and we decided to head out. The tom came in at 19 lbs. Small spurs and beard. Making a guess, I think he's a second year bird. Anyways, felt nice to get out after such a crazy busy start to the year. Going to put in a couple hours tomorrow on my hill with the black powder 12 gauge. Chasing the stud in the cam picture below.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Awesome.

Congratulations on the Tom. Nicely done.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Images
    Good job on the dog Mallard. 3am? That's just crazy.
    I had a hard time getting out of bed at 5.

Congrats Adam, nice bird.

Congrats guys on the coyote and the tom.
    I got out again on Saturday and had 3 hens in the decoys and heard one gobble once a couple hundred yards away never laid eyes on him. It was funny but he never gobbled on the roost just once on the ground around 6:30 or so. One hen was yelping and cutting right in my decoys and he never answered her so I had no shot. He must have had some hens with him. I hit up RI on Sunday and heard some gobbling on the roost and saw one lone hen.