Thread: Trappers read hb 6014

Trappers read hb 6014

Im really surprised this hasnt come up on here yet! Write to your reps guys we could loose trapping next year!

Proposed H.B. No. 6014

AN ACT PROHIBITING THE USE OF LEGHOLD AND BODY CRUSHING TRAPS.

To prohibit the use of leghold and body-crushing traps.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by unknownfishn View Post
    Im really surprised this hasnt come up on here yet! Write to your reps guys we could loose trapping next year!

Proposed H.B. No. 6014

AN ACT PROHIBITING THE USE OF LEGHOLD AND BODY CRUSHING TRAPS.

To prohibit the use of leghold and body-crushing traps.

They did the in Massachusetts and it killed trapping.

The only traps legal legal here are age or box traps for furbarers. We probably lost 80% of our trappers here when it was passed. Between the cost of outfitting with all new traps and the lunacy of it drove the trappers away in droves.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images

I sent testimony today

ACTION ALERT HB 6014 AN ACT PROHIBITING THE USE OF LEGHOLD AND BODY–CRUSHING TRAPS Environment Committee Public Hearing, FRIDAY, MARCH 1st - 10:30 AM Room 2B, Legislative Office Building, Hartford Hearing signup starts at 9:00 AM Written testimony due electronically to “envtestimony@cga.ct.gov” by 3:00 PM - Thursday, February 28 th COME TO THE HEARING TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR CONNECTICUT TRAPPERS AND NUISANCE WILDLIFE OPERATORS. EVEN IF YOU DO NOT PLAN TO TESTIFY IN PERSON, COME AND SHOW SUPPORT FOR OTHERS – BACKGROUND – • The Connecticut legislature is currently considering bills that ban use of foothold and conibear traps and, allow municipalities authority to regulate trapping. • It has been some time since we have faced such a significant threat. • It’s critical that you get involved NOW! • Let your State Senators and State Representatives know you oppose legislative proposals that limit the tools available to NWCOs and ignore best practices. • While there are a number of bills that negatively affect us, there is one bill, HB 6014 (https://www.cga.ct.gov/2019/TOB/h/pd...014-R01-HB.PDF), that has been fully drafted. • HB 6014 public hearing is FRIDAY, MARCH 1st
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images
    Do anyone go to the hearing? If so how did it go?

Bob

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    I couldn't make it. I have a few wildlife control friends that went, but haven't heard anything from them yet. Hopefully they listen to common sense and scientific facts, and not emotional rhetoric. The ar's never bring facts to the discussion, and their "personal experiences" are out right ridiculous. I.e. stories of large "leghold" traps with teeth randomly dropped on the ground where anyone could step on it. Only an uneducated moron would think that's how a trap was set.
    Unless a visible animal is actually in a trap, only another trapper would recognize a set. But, that is one of the stories I heard the last time I went to a trap ban hearing.
    But, the Dems have the house, Senate and Gov. so it's definitely something to worry about.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    I couldn't make it. I have a few wildlife control friends that went, but haven't heard anything from them yet. Hopefully they listen to common sense and scientific facts, and not emotional rhetoric. The ar's never bring facts to the discussion, and their "personal experiences" are out right ridiculous. I.e. stories of large "leghold" traps with teeth randomly dropped on the ground where anyone could step on it. Only an uneducated moron would think that's how a trap was set.
    Unless a visible animal is actually in a trap, only another trapper would recognize a set. But, that is one of the stories I heard the last time I went to a trap ban hearing.
    But, the Dems have the house, Senate and Gov. so it's definitely something to worry about.

The legislature is full of uneducated morons, just like ours. I hope it fails. It will destroy trapping and the nuisance wildlife issues will skyrocket. Especially beaver damage. That’s what happened in Mass anyway.

Bob

Images
    I totally agree.

This from my friend tom: "Went till 1:30am. Not sure when they will vote on it." He also said he will know more tomorrow after a conference call with our lobbyist.

Images
    Environmental committee has a meeting on Friday the 8th I believe. We should know more then. I was at the public hearing most of the day but had commitments in the afternoon and evening. Watched it on CTN until 10:30. Hemp, kennels, petshop bills took a ton of time and folks were very well organized and came out in droves. Black Bear hunting and Trapping probably had the next best turnout.

I wouldn't say they are "uneducated morons", but yes part of your testimony in your emails and phone calls should be about educating them. They may not have the same knowledge as you and only get a chance to hear pieces of information and they most certainly want to hear from us, even when they disagree.

We don't have to turn the whole committee to our side, just a couple to make a difference. It is NOT easy but necessary. A few of us from Ducks Unlimited spent the entire day at the capital on Feb 22 attending the sportsman Caucus meeting, then we spent the rest of the day visiting representatives and aides across both parties include from the governors office to talk about our concerns with many of the bills being submitted especially anything that took authority from CT dEEP to manage hunting and gave that authority to the towns. Bad, bad idea and precedent. I was amazed at hoe many of our reps had no idea about Pittman Robertson act, and conservation funding and why the hunters, shooters and fisherman are important players in conservation funding.

Then I spent the day at the Environment public hearing on MArch 1, again taking time to meet with reps outside the meeting. DU will be setting up a table at the capital on Friday march 15th for sportsmans day to once again talk with and educate our reps. Many other groups will be there as well.

Two things everyone can do Keep writing,calling, and educating our reps no matter what. Second, is to become a member and volunteer if possible for one of our state/national organizations that support hunters and fisherman. These organizations certainly help give us a voice.
    Visit my BLOG at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com

check out some of my videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/passinthru63

Images
    My wife and son just sent emails (with my help of course) opposing 6014. We will all be sending more for the gun bills too.