Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day Buck 2018

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images

Opening Day Buck 2018

Sorry for the delay. We looked until 10PM for my son's spike. He was painting saplings red with blood from 8" from bottom to the very tops. As he walked through and some of them folded under, they were red all the way around. THEN, he went into the big cedar swamp that is pretty impenetrable. When he hit water, all evidence disappeared. The wet spot we could get into showed him going in, but no blood or wet spots where he came out. We've searched since last light, to no avail. If it weren't for all the rain this past week, the swamp would've at least been dryer. To be honest, he could've been dead at our feet and not be seen. Real thick.

But, I did have some luck. Yesterday I had to go to Hartford, so I stopped at Cabela's on the way home. I picked up a 3 legged folding triangle seat with back cushion. Wasn't bad for the first two hours this morning, then my butt hurt. But, I took it back out this afternoon and sat off of a cart path surrounded by 10 yr old secondary growth. As thick as the swamp, but dry land. At 4:15, my son shot the spike. I anticipated something pushed my way, but wasn't hearing/seeing anything. All of a sudden I heard a deer running behind me. I looked over my left shoulder and saw the buck. He stopped and sniffed around, wind was in my favor. My rifle was up and all he had to do was take a couple steps. As soon as his head came past a tree, he shot a look at me that said "WTH are you?" I slowly tried to move my rifle to the left and get him in the scope. No time, he blew once and bolted. I was on him and pulled the trigger. When he landed from his first bound, his front leg gave out. Great, I hit him good. Racked another round and shot again. He went from broadside to straight away before I could get the second shot off, but at the shot his back end buckled. I didn't know where he was hit and he tried to drag himself off and bawling to boot. A third round through the saplings and it didn't seem to have an effect, so a fourth was sent. He flopped over. It happened quick, and after losing a great buck a few years ago with my ML, that I could've shot again, but didn't, I swore to keep shooting until it stops moving.

I only have the first pics of where he died. Light was fading fast and gutting in the dark is not my favorite thing to do. I'll try to get another pic or two tomorrow before I skin him. He has a nice high 8pt rack with a 1" sticker at the base. Wife already said no to another taxi bill. lol. I could find room for plenty more, but that would be selfish .

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TooManyHobbies; 11-15-2018 at 01:53 PM.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Awesome! way to get it done

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Congratulations on a nice buck.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Nice buck Brian...congrats.

Very nice buck, congrats! Last pic looks an awful lot like a buck caped out for a mount.... haha

Awesome buck congratulations!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great looking deer! Congrats!

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Thanks all. I'm tagged out w/rifle. Shot a "doe" this afternoon......that turned out to be a button buck. Ooops. Back to the bow.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images
    Very nice buck man! Congrats!!

Images
    Nice buck Brian! Congrats.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com