Thread: 2018 Rut Reports

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images

2018 Rut Reports

I thought I would start a thread to share general rut information as things should be starting to pick up right now. I was thinking that you could list the town and info.

Suffield: In the past week a lot of scrapes have opened up and activity with is increasing.

bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

I've been starting to see lots of scrapes and 1 rub in southington. Haven't seen the perps yet tho.

---==SEMPER-FI==---

In Newtown haven't seen any scrapes open up yet and only one rub so far. Didn't happen last year until around the 18th

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Yesterday morning I went in via a cart path (the only way in), no sign going in, two fresh scrapes when I came out. Putnam.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Does Western NY count? Rubs and scrapes everywhere. Bucks coming in to grunts, and chasing by who's left to chase. Adult doe separated from her yearlings in the short time I was there. One potential shooter...not attached to a doe though.

Images
    Iíve been out only a couple times but Iíve been working with a forester on a stewardship plan for my property so Iíve been in the woods quite a bit lately. Have seen a lot of rubbing happening and a couple scrapes. One of the times I sat I let a lone yearling pass. Pretty sure she was separated from mama. So itís happening in NW CT
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Forkhorn
    I've had first bucks show up on trail camera this year. Appears to me that rut activity or at least seeking has begun. New Canaan area.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Seeing a spike in road kill here in western Mass but not a lot of sign in the woods. The massive amount of rain has effected some of the bedding areas I hunt during the rut.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Started seeing rubs and scrapes 2 weeks ago. There's a buck in one of my hunting areas that prefers to rub the mountain laurel on the edge of a swamp. I've been focusing my efforts trying to target him. I've had several sits in that stand with no luck.

I was in my stand today, blowing around in the high wind and finally saw him walking through the mountain laurel about 80 yards away. He stayed in the laurel and didn't react to any grunt calls. He looked like a really nice, heavy buck with a decent rack. Shotgun opens in a few days and I'm running out of time to get him with the X-bow.