Thread: 2018 hb5539 an act concerning firearms in state parks.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images

2018 hb5539 an act concerning firearms in state parks.

I just saw saw this update and thought I would pass it along.

Bob

2018 HB5539
    AN ACT CONCERNING FIREARMS IN STATE PARKS.
    Section 1. (NEW) (Effective October 1, 2018) The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection shall permit any person who holds a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection (b) of section 29-28 of the general statutes to carry a pistol or revolver covered by such permit in any state park.
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Interesting. In RI parks regulations strictly prohibit the same. Only active duty police officers can carry concealed on state property.

8 Point
    Wonder if this includes state forests?

Quote Originally Posted by Horizontal Hunter View Post
    I just saw saw this update and thought I would pass it along.

Bob

2018 HB5539
    AN ACT CONCERNING FIREARMS IN STATE PARKS.
    Section 1. (NEW) (Effective October 1, 2018) The Department of Energy and Environmental Protection shall permit any person who holds a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver issued pursuant to subsection (b) of section 29-28 of the general statutes to carry a pistol or revolver covered by such permit in any state park.

I know this bill was brought up and passed out of committee with a favorable recommendation. That does not mean it is law. It would still have to pass both chambers of the legislature and have been signed by Malloy before it became law. I have not heard that happened. Perhaps it has. If it has not, it remains against the law.

I checked Bob Crook's website but it is way out of date (Bob has been sick Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen http://ctsportsmen.com).

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Hunter View Post
    I know this bill was brought up and passed out of committee with a favorable recommendation. That does not mean it is law. It would still have to pass both chambers of the legislature and have been signed by Malloy before it became law. I have not heard that happened. Perhaps it has. If it has not, it remains against the law.

I checked Bob Crook's website but it is way out of date (Bob has been sick Coalition of Connecticut Sportsmen http://ctsportsmen.com).
    It took effect on October 1st.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2018/FC/pdf/2...R000535-FC.PDF

Bob

so is it legal to carry on state forests now while scouting etc....?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradysmaster View Post
    so is it legal to carry on state forests now while scouting etc....?
    This is the summary from the bill. It only says state park so IDK.

Bob

SUMMARYThis bill requires the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) to allow anyone holding a valid permit to carry a pistol or revolver to carry such firearm in a state park.
    Current DEEP regulations prohibit hunting or carrying firearms or other weapons in a state park or forest, unless the department authorizes it (Conn. Agencies Regs. § 23-4-1(c)). Violators commit an infraction and are subject to a $75 fine (Conn. Agencies Regs. § 23-4- 5(b)(1)). By law, violators may (1) pay the fine by mail, without a court appearance or (2) contest the fine in court (CGS § 23-4).
    EFFECTIVE DATE: October 1, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Horizontal Hunter View Post
    The link only tells me that it was reported favorably out of committee. That is not the same as being passed into law. I can not find a record of it being voted on by either house or signed by the governor. It may have very well be tabled or however it is they allow bills to die quietly on the vine (for example, that was done to Sunday hunting for a few years). Unless you get confirmation from a representative or lawyer with a background in gun issues I would suggest caution before carrying in a park or forest.

I googled the question "can i carry a sidearm in connecticut state forests or parks". and got the following:

All carrying or use of weapons is subject to applicable provisions of the Connecticut General Statutes and regulations adopted there under. The short answer to your question is no, a CT Permit to Carry does not allow a Permit holder to carry in a State Park or Forest.Jun 23, 2018
    State Name - Handgun Law

www.handgunlaw.us/states/connecticut.pdf

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Hunter View Post
    The link only tells me that it was reported favorably out of committee. That is not the same as being passed into law. I can not find a record of it being voted on by either house or signed by the governor. It may have very well be tabled or however it is they allow bills to die quietly on the vine (for example, that was done to Sunday hunting for a few years). Unless you get confirmation from a representative or lawyer with a background in gun issues I would suggest caution before carrying in a park or forest.

I googled the question "can i carry a sidearm in connecticut state forests or parks". and got the following:

All carrying or use of weapons is subject to applicable provisions of the Connecticut General Statutes and regulations adopted there under. The short answer to your question is no, a CT Permit to Carry does not allow a Permit holder to carry in a State Park or Forest.Jun 23, 2018
    State Name - Handgun Law

www.handgunlaw.us/states/connecticut.pdf
    It is always wise to verify.

It looks like it was a change to an administration rule (23-4-1) to take effect on the first and it will always take a bit for it to come out.

I am licensed in multiple states, including CT, and I use a subscription service to try to keep up with the insanity that is our state patchwork of gun laws. That’s where I got the info from so we will see if they are right. They have been pretty good so far.

Bob

I don't think the bill made it into law:
    https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillst...&bill_num=5539

versus this bill that passed:
    https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillst...&bill_num=5542

The regs of all state agencies was updated 11/2/2018:
    https://eregulations.ct.gov/eRegsPortal/Browse/RCSA

You can go to section 23-4-1 and see what the agency reg currently is.

The penalty for violation is a 24 hour eviction from the park and a $35 fine:
    https://eregulations.ct.gov/eRegsPor...|23-4-5|23-4-5