Thread: Doesn't anyone on this site.....

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images

Doesn't anyone on this site.....

...hunt any more? No reports, no kills, no discussions. WTF guys? I still haven't been out, but I know some of you have. I got the OK to resume normal activities on 10/20. Was hoping for today.
    Come on, post some stories, pics, etc. Temps are quite chill, deer should be moving.

NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

I'm out this evening for a few hours. NW corner, quiet so far.
    The cool temps and wind are perfect,we'll see what happens.

Good luck if you're out and be safe

I was thinking the same thing and was checking if anyone was gearing up for pheasant opener and started a post , but nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    ...hunt any more? No reports, no kills, no discussions. WTF guys? I still haven't been out, but I know some of you have. I got the OK to resume normal activities on 10/20. Was hoping for today.
    Come on, post some stories, pics, etc. Temps are quite chill, deer should be moving.

Images
    Yeah... The culture of this site has completely shifted. It's become a place for a question here and there and that's about it. I always enjoyed reading everyones harvest stories and I posted my own because I enjoy reliving the hunts as I'm typing them. I also like to be able to go back and read what I wrote a year or two later and recall some memories from one hunt or another. Here's a couple stories and some pics from the last week for you Brian:

My early duck season was my worst ever. Was too busy to get out and hunt except both Saturdays and quick out and back Monday morning. Made a few bad shots ... missed by a mile. Lost a duck in the swamp brush this past Saturday during a really slow flight on a rainy day. I just felt off this early season. Looking forward to November still. Can't wait actually. Hoping to see a great migration this year.

Last Friday I got home from work around noon and decided in the moment I stepped out of my truck that I was going to hit the woods behind my house for a turkey. I had seen a group of birds crossing a small clearing on top of a hill, a spot I call the first landing, about a week prior. I've also been hearing a lot of turkey talk out back for a couple weeks. So I knew they were back there. I gathered my things and my old 870 and hit the hill. Found myself tucked into the shadows of some low hanging hemlock boughs and tossed out a couple puts and yelps on the slate call. Took about 30 minutes for the first birds to show themselves across the small clearing. The group finally all crested the knoll, six birds in total. They worked their towards me and I took the first bird at 30-35 yards. One and done. Smaller bird. Didn't weigh it but I'd peg it in the low to mid teens. Perfect size for the lady and I on Thanksgiving Day. Plucked it whole and it's waiting in the freezer.

This afternoon I met up with DU CT at a farm permission to get on some geese over cut corn. Good numbers in the field yesterday according to the farmer boy. We figured we'd give it a go for a few hours. We brushed in our layouts and sat under our decoy spread for three hours with nothing happening until the weather came in. We did see a one of group of about 25 snow geese flying wayyy high so that was pretty interesting. We stuck it out through a driving rain and a steadily increasing wind as the temperatures dropped significantly. It felt so great!! Not but 20 minutes after that storm moved out the geese started flying. I caught the first group of six out of the corner of my eye and we darted into our blinds. Took three from that group. As I was in the field retrieving one of the birds three more showed themselves. I sprinted back to my blind, forgetting to reload, and then waited for the birds to hit the spread. Their approach was text book with a strong wind from behind us. As they set their feet Tony took a bird and I swung up on another and.... click. Nothing. Ugh. That goose had orange feet!!! A Canada goose with orange feet. You can believe it or not but I saw it with my own eyes. It must have been a cross. They were sticking out so hard in the sun. I can't believe I didn't reload after the first volley... By the time I got a shell in it was already too far out. Man that would have been a cool bird. Anyways, with only two birds left until we hit limits we tucked back into the blinds and the hunt was over shortly after. This one was memorable. I won't forget that one goose or the view of the storm coming in from far away. This one picture below of me leaning over the birds was totally candid. Tony took it as he was setting up his phone for a quick picture with the birds. I thank every animal I harvest so this photo is a little touching for me. Captures a very important moment of the hunter's heart.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WoodsmanA; 10-17-2018 at 09:32 PM.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Thanks Adam, nice pics and story. Saturday be damned, I'm heading out to a stand tomorrow morning... maybe even this afternoon.

Been out just a little. Couple of short sits and all day Wed in two different spots. Wed was very quiet. Not even much tree rat movement and very little bird calls. Even the usually annoyingly noisy blue jays were MIA. Cams tell me the deer are coming by but I'm just not there at the right time or day. Eventually we'll mesh. Do have some nice pics of a beautiful fox, couple of spikes sparring, and a 6 point working a licking branch. I'll get them posted up here one day. Hopefully this weekend.

As for that 6 point here is the background. I started putting a salt lick out in 2017. Trace mineral salt for cows worked into the soil. It started getting lots of traffic this year - mostly bucks. This year near that I started putting out my own deer blocks made following a recipe found on YouTube. I've been modifying slightly and the deer love it. The coons and tree rats don't like it so that is a huge bonus. Then to my pleasant surprise I got pics of Mr. 6 working a licking branch in the same area. I'll be teasing him w/ a mock scrape just as soon as the lures come in.
    Last edited by DanburyBowhunter; 10-19-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Images
    Well, I finally got out. Got a little off my trimmed trail going in, and it took until first light to find my path again. So, I was 1/2 hr late getting to my stand. 10 minutes later I could hear a deer walking about 30 yards away, but the hemlocks were so thick I couldn't see it. That stand has two shot ops. One is 8-9 yards on a well used trail, the other along a stream about 12 yards away. Everything else is pretty thick. It's a gully, with high sides and the stream running down the middle. My eye got sore at about 9am, and my body not too long after. Beautiful morning though, nice and crisp. Will try a different property this afternoon.

Images
    Iím glad you got out, Brian. Must have felt great to finally get into the woods. Good luck this evening.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Images
    I got out for the opener yesterday. Had to work so wasnt out till 1130. Worked the border of the property and the dog flushed 2 pheasants. Cant wait till we get a good frost and snowfall. It was hot and buggy. Couldn't believe when I drove up to the spot there was none else there.