Thread: Walking through high grass to deer stand

Walking through high grass to deer stand

The only way in to my deer stand is by walking through a field with high grass. How show I do this and what cover scent would help?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
    The only way in to my deer stand is by walking through a field with high grass. How show I do this and what cover scent would help?

I donít believe that you can beat a deers nose. A deers nose has more surface area than a dogs and they also have a Jacobsonís organ so they can literally taste the air.

If you are crossing, or walking in on, deer trails to get to your stand they will smell you and it is best to find another access path if possible.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Quote Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post

I suspect noise is your bigger problem especially as the grass gets dry or frozen. I have been told to think of yourself as a the center of a bubble of scent and noise. Try to minimize both. Walk slowly and use deer trails to reduce the noise of the grass. As for scent, try to be scent free. Unless you are hunting in the grass or on its edge, any cover scent you use may conflict with where you are going. Of course, and it goes without saying try to use the wind as much as possible.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    I would just try to get to the stand from down wind, without crossing or using a trail that you expect deer to come from. You can't help what happens downwind from your stand. If you expect deer from downwind, hunt it on a different wind. I'm not a scent free fanatic like some. Just use the wind to your advantage, and don't over hunt the same stand.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Thanks for the advice.