Thread: how has bears changed the way we deer hunt?

how has bears changed the way we deer hunt?

i have 5 private land spots that i am very fortunate to be able to hunt and they all hold deer. I have spots in Plymouth, Thomaston, and Litchfield areas that i expect to see bears and don't mind it at all. Tonight while hunting on my parents property in prospect that i have hunted for 11 years and have never seen a bear, never had any pictures of bears, or any sign of bears, one walked by my stand about a half hour before end of legal. It took me by surprise and the last thing i wanted to do was shoot a deer right before dark and track with a flashlight. I really hope the state takes the issue seriously and does a bear hunt in next 2 years. I think if they wait more then that we will be overrun. I am pretty good at estimating the weights of these things as i have hunted them 3 times in Canada and tonight's was in the 225 range. I saw a sow last week in Plymouth (wide hips) that i think would go over 300. what are your thoughts??

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Bears donít figure in on my deer hunts unless the seasons overlap. They are more afraid of you than you are of them.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

The bears probably do most harm by possibly scaring away deer from an area.

While I don't disagree that a bear season may be needed (or maybe already is) expecting there to ever be one in CT is likely a fools errand. I figure CT will go the HI method for sharks. No taking them or severely limited take. One day a shark bites a person. Suddenly its open season for any shark within a few miles of shore. A hundred or so sharks are killed and it ends. Rinse and repeat. I expect the same for bears in CT.

One must also figure in the lack of understanding of nature amongst CT 'nature lovers'. Have a neighbor who insists.. INSISTS that they must leave bird feeders out all year long. Hubby is getting tired of buying and replacing ruined bird feeders. Unfortunately the bear has learned well where the smorgasbord is and it is part of the bears regular route and gets checked regularly even between bird feeder replacements.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    The last time that they were talking about a season I remember there being talk of a $75.00 bear tag. Anything to generate more revenue. Our bear tag in Massachusetts is $5.00.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Ah yes. The need for $$ I forgot to factor into the equation. Funny how its called Taxachusetts but taxes, overall, are higher in CT.