Thread: Soggy Morning Geese - 9/10/18

Images

Soggy Morning Geese - 9/10/18

Hit a new private permission early this morning with DU and two other buds. First hunt on that property for us. Nice pasture that the geese have been using. We thought it a good idea to get in on the birds before any corn is cut in the area and they find it. We had only until 10 o'clock until we all had to leave to get off to work or get on with our days. Four hours should have been way more than enough time. But, things change up quickly... I had scouted the field twice. 80+ birds dumping in between 6:30 and 7 until yesterdays scout when they didn't show up until 7:45 am. Today they decided to be lazy on their roosts I guess as they didn't show until 9:15. So we waited it out. Soaking wet, we definitely felt nervous for a while wondering when and even if they'd show. We had an unusually large spread set out for this time of the year but we wanted them to work right into a perfect landing zone, blocked off from landing on our sides by the decoys. The first group came in silently over the horizon and took us by surprise. About 20 birds I'd say. They circled over us and put the gear down in the wind that had shifted some. We tagged five out of that group and educated the rest. One band from that bunch. Ten minutes later a second group came in. One lone honk clued us in to their approach before they hit the tree line. We rushed back to the blinds and they were on us immediately. Same approach as the first group. Except this time, 13 birds came in, zero birds left. That group of birds folded like a book and hit the ground hard. 8 bands from that group, too. All local bands of course. 1138s to 1168s. No other groups wanted to play before we had to call it and pack in. All in all it was a great hunt. Everything got soaked but we all stayed nice and dry in waders and shells.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Very nice and lots of jewelry to boot.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Nice write up. It often pays to stick it out in non-optimal weather.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    One of your birds is missing. Killing a full flock of a dozen birds is pretty impressive. Congrats on a great hunt.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images
    Oops. Thatís just me showing off my math skills. I canít count obviously. Second group was a dozen then. And yes, four guys each with extended tube mags can really put the brakes on a flock of birds.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Blaaaaaaamo. NW boys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When it comes your time to die, sing your death song and die like a hero going home." Tecumseh

good job guys thats awesome!!

way to get after them. Are you seeing many birds or is what you're shooting basically what comes in?