Thread: New to hunting

New to hunting

Hi Folks,

My name is Fejzo and I am new to hunting in general as well to this forum. Started out last year and have been out hunting last season for deer and rabbits couple of times. I am from Wethersfield and just got my first shotgun (Mossberg 535). I am VERY interested in Duck and Geese hunting but do not know any hunters that have any experience in it. I am looking to meet fellow hunters that are willing to share some of their hunting skills and introduce me to bird hunting.

Thanks

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Welcome Fejzo, can't help you much as far as birds in your area, maybe someone is close by to assist. Meanwhile, get out looking at waterways open to waterfowl and plan your attack. Crop fields are good too, you will need landowner permission first.
    Set up before first light and hope they come in after first light. You'll need steel shot, decoys, camo, and a dog would be nice. Good luck.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Welcome to the forum Fezjo.

Iím not a duck or goose hunter so I am not much help in that regard. Archery season for deer starts in a couple of weeks and I am surely looking forward to it.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Images
    Visit the CT Waterfowlers Association website at: http://www.ctwaterfowlers.org/

Under the Education tab there is a mentoring link visit it and sign up.

Waterfowl hunting can be simple from the point of - jump shooting the small creeks, streams or hidden ponds or more involved to loading up a bunch of decoys into a boat and hunting the larger rivers, shoreline, etc.

The biggest thing is ensuring you have a way to retrieve downed birds that end up in water.

With waterfowl hunting scout, scout and scout some more. Not every field or piece of water will hold geese and ducks. They go to certain spots for a reason - food, security (from pressure, predators, weather even) and these areas can change from day to day so you need to constantly do your homework to be more successful.

Got to a CWA, Ducks Unlimited, or Delta Waterfowl event and meet some other hunters.
    Visit my BLOG at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com

check out some of my videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/passinthru63

Images
    Yep, thatís the best thing for a new waterfowler to do. Go to a few events and start talking with other hunters. If anything you can pick up some tips and pointers. Perhaps even find a mentor or find yourself invited on a hunt where youíll learn tons. Read up on your ducks. Know your game. Knowing waterfowl biology and all the reasons they do what they do, when they do it, is massively important and can help in your pursuit. Yet, having a little knowledge about the whys and whenís is absolutely no guarantee that youíll have an explanation for any one thing you see or experience. Never say never with wildlife. Especially ducks and geese. They can do things completely against the book. Scouting is absolutely the bulk of the key to success. Too many people hunt a spot only because ďit looks ducky.Ē Or because they saw a few mallards there last year. They throw out an unecessarily huge spread of decoys then they sit and wonder why theyíre seeing no birds. Happens all too often. Donít go where you think the birds want to be. Find where the birds actually want to be and youíll soon find success. At this point, get in the truck and start driving around looking for birds. Then knock on doors or place phone calls or figure out if you have legal access to the spot. And Jim points it out well that the X can change day by day. If you see birds in a spot one day, that means nothing for the following day. Especially during the migration. Right now youíre coming into it during the open seasons for local birds. Definitely, September geese and October ducks are great times to learn a few things. Local patterns can be a bit easier to find consistencies as compared to birds coming through from up north. Each season brings its own unique challenges. And challenges they certainly are. September geese hunting is completely different than December geese. Local woodies behave much differently than January black ducks from Quebec. But, if youíre out there trying, youíre experiencing and learning. Thatís what counts most. The more hours under your belt the more confidence youíll gain in your ability to hunt waterfowl. Donít expect to know everything at once. Iíve been fowling for seven years now and I still consider myself a greenhorn. And if it takes you a while to find someone to tag along with, donít be discouraged. Just get out there when you can even if youíre on your own. Ask lots of questions on here. Everyone on here was in your shoes at one point. Good luck. Safe hunting.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Welcome to the forum Fejzo. Not a bird hunter myself so I can't help much but did want to welcome you. There are those who are good bird hunters on this forum so I'm sure you'll learn a lot quickly. Happy Hunting!

Thank you all for the warm welcome and so many great suggestions. I think I'll join http://www.ctwaterfowlers.org and the Ducks.org. that should give me some exposure. I'll also try to go to some of the event s. I hope to post some hunting pictures this season on the forum.....

Thanks again

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Iím looking forward to your posts and pictures.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire