Thread: Squirrel hunting with a bow

Squirrel hunting with a bow

Crazy question time. My daughter tried archery this summer at camp and loved it. We got her a bow for her birthday (I'll upload pic of her shooting later). She is digging target shooting and of course asked if she would be able to hunt deer with me this year. She is 8 and is drawing 12lbs. So.. does anyone know what are the regs on minimum draw weight for small game? I'm thinking this is something we could do or if not looks like it will be stump shooting time.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    I don't believe there's a minimum for small game, but there is a minimum age (12) for your daughter. Stumping sounds good for her. And don't forget to take her deer bowhunting with you. I took my son when he was 10 (at 5 he was going goose hunting with me). I was lucky enough to shoot a 4 pt buck with him in the stand, two years in a row. The 4 pt bucks could've been twins. He still doesn't bow hunt, but gets out with the rifle every year.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DanburyBowhunter View Post
    Crazy question time. My daughter tried archery this summer at camp and loved it. We got her a bow for her birthday (I'll upload pic of her shooting later). She is digging target shooting and of course asked if she would be able to hunt deer with me this year. She is 8 and is drawing 12lbs. So.. does anyone know what are the regs on minimum draw weight for small game? I'm thinking this is something we could do or if not looks like it will be stump shooting time.
    FWIW:

A crossbow is an option if she wants to deer hunt with you this archery season. Iím a big believer in striking while the iron is hot.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

6 Point
    Quote Originally Posted by Horizontal Hunter View Post
    FWIW:

A crossbow is an option if she wants to deer hunt with you this archery season. Iím a big believer in striking while the iron is hot.

Bob
    She needs to have a hunting license to hunt anything. A person needs to be 12 before they can obtain a license which is why Toomanyhobbies suggested having her tag along (without hunting implement) on some of your hunts.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bow Hunt CT View Post
    She needs to have a hunting license to hunt anything. A person needs to be 12 before they can obtain a license which is why Toomanyhobbies suggested having her tag along (without hunting implement) on some of your hunts.
    Wow four more years to wait. I donít have any kids so I had no idea that the minimum age is 12. I looked it up and Mass is the same. What a shame.

That is one law that needs to be changed.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Thank you gentlemen! She has been going out w/ me a few times each season. This will be her 3rd year. So far she lasts about an hour. Sitting quietly is not her thing so an hour is impressive for her. The first time out we did see turkey as we came out of the blind. We've seen more deer and turkey in the yard than in stand. Looks like I'll be getting some new points for us to go do some stump shooting. She'll be bummed to have to wait 4 more but it will give her plenty of time to grow and practice. She just might be able to pull 40 by then.