Thread: Labor Day Loafers - 9/3/18

Images

Labor Day Loafers - 9/3/18

A little something more to spark up this forum some...

Made it out this morning about mid morning (despite the heat...) to get on a good loafing spot. DU and I. The two of us scratched out a one man limit in a little under an hour. One band. Banded in my hometown in 2003, hatched in 2002, female. 16 + year old bird! That's our second Labor Day hunt where we've shot an old bird of 16 years. Two years ago we shot a 16 year old male that had a band so worn down it had to be sent in to the BBL to be acid etched. The bird was banded in 2001 four miles east of Lac Salvert in northern Quebec. The head of the banding lab thinks that what likely happened is some CT local birds flew a little ways north just before they molted in June and mixed up with a group of birds from Quebec. Perhaps after the molt, one or more decided to fly back to CT with the CT birds. Just possible explanation for why we shot a bird that was banded so far away during the early local season.

Looking to get back out this evening to set up on some birds coming in for an evening feed. Try and close out our limit for the day.

Happy Labor Day to all.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Good shooting. It doesn't look like you guys miss too much. What guns are you using?
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images
    We keep up our shooting abilities, yeah, but it more so comes down to scouting hard and working hard to obtain and keep permissions.

I've shot a $200 Remington 870 pump with cheap Federal steel for the last five years. For geese and ducks all season long, September through February. It's my workhorse.
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Awesome haul to start the season! Managed two myself in Rhode Island this weekend and one of the guys I'm helping get into waterfowl got two this morning so looks to be a decent start for everyone.

Images
    Awesome czins! Glad to see someone else got out there this weekend.

We closed up our opening weekend with a great hunt this evening. Three of us came out with 18 birds. The birds worked perfectly. And this may have been the hottest hunt ever... Sweating buckets. It's time for cold weather already!

That puts our opening weekend count at 43 birds. It was great to have Bishop with us on Saturday mornings hunt. We are slowly corrupting him and turning him into a waterfowler. Todays hunts were a pleasure despite the heat. Really glad it's finally open season again. Hope to get out again either Wednesday evening if the crew can get together or next weekend.

Attached Images Attached Images
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Nice shooting guys. Way to knock them down for sure.

It is great to see hunting starting up again and some of the members getting out and getting it done.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Looks like it was a nice way to spend Labor Day! That is some good shooting to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsmanA View Post
    It was great to have Bishop with us on Saturday mornings hunt. We are slowly corrupting him and turning him into a waterfowler.

More like corrupted over night ! As always it was great hunting with you guys! The amount of hard work y’all put into scouting is amazing. Anyone that thinks this comes easy for these guys is dead wrong. They put in so many hours of scouting and prep work to almost guarantee success. They are one with the Canadian goose!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk