Thread: Bearded Hen With Poults

Bearded Hen With Poults

Went scouting today for ducks along the coast and came across something I haven't seen before. Two hens with about 8-10 poults were walking by the trail entrance and one of them was rocking a solid beard! I thought it was a jake with light color at first but after looking at her under binoculars and seeing the length/fullness of the beard, had to rule it out. Tried to get some photos, but they couldn't really do it justice at distance and on a moving bird.

Interwebs say about 10-15% of hens may have beards, but I haven't run into any hens that actually have decent ones. Anyone else seen hens with decent beards before or just the scrawny little ones?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    I've never seen a bearded hen. Haven't seen any poults yet this year either.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Been a weird year for poults. I haven't seen any back in MA and only a few in the corn fields I hunt in CT. About 10 of these little guys were in the area I scouted so some areas must be doing good.

Definitely looking into putting up hen houses and wood duck boxes for next year. Seems like the time to start investing in native populations, turkey or otherwise. Going to be a tough season with only two mallards in the limit for 2019.

Definitely a lack of poults this year versus last, but I have seen some in my yard.

About the bearded hen....I suppose its as common as bearded women. Those exist too.