Thread: Tilling Under a Food Plot

Tilling Under a Food Plot

Over the years I have planted a yearly food plot a few weeks before planting I always cut any weeds and grasses pretty low to the ground then sprayed and killed weeds the following week and then planted the week after.
    I did not have time to mow this year and the weeds and grasses have grown to about 1 to 1-1/2 feet high throughout most the plot, the plot is roughly 75 yards x 25 yards. I did spray yesterday and will give it until Friday before I till under the dying weeds and grass and I then plan on planting the same day.

Does anyone have experience in tilling under weeds and grasses this high then planting? I had always cut low any weeds and grass about a week before
    I sprayed but was unable to this year.
    Will tilling under tall dying or dead grasses be ok to do, will it affect planting seed? Will a mid size, mid tine tiller even till them under or should I mow first?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience!

Also; Fertilizing newly planted seed

One more thing. I also always had fertilized using 10-10-10 at the same time I planted the seed and was wondering if I should continue this or wait until the plants start to grow.

Is there any advantage either way? Can the fertilizer even burn or prevent new seed from growing? I have never noticed that it had but maybe I could get better growth if I waited?

Thanks again for the info.

I don't like to spray anything at all. My most preferred weed control method is to turn the soil multiple times before planting.
    For example, I tilled my garden in early april, then late april, then early may, then mid may once again prior to planting.
    This garden was a first time planting as I just moved here last year.
    Going forward, I should only have to till it twice. Because I did till it so much, I killed off weeds after they germinated but before they grew seeds. I haven't done any weeding in over a month and theres hardly any there.

As far as the food plot goes, I turned the soil a couple times with my double bottom plow.

Well went out last Wednesday to mow down the grass in my plot then back out there Friday morning to till and plant.

4 hours of tilling with a mid tine tiller then spread 2 bags of seed and fertilizer.
    Used a bag of Cabelas Cereal Grain which has forage oats and triticale (a mix of wheat and rye I guess) which always seems to draw in the deer early and I also planted a bag of Shot Plot which is a blend of Turnips and Rape.
    After spreading I lightly raked it and then spread some 10-10-10.

Got a bit of rain Friday evening, some more rain on Saturday and a little on Sunday. Looks like a good week going forward for it all to sprout too.

Love spending the time doing this and then sitting in one of my stands during the season.

Here's a few pics. 1st is when I started, 2nd is "the chokepoint", 3rd is a part of the plot after planting (3 recently planted apple trees fenced off)
    Attached Images Attached Images