Thread: Summer Dirt Doggin

Summer Dirt Doggin

It's been a slow season for me so far. Spending my time between hunting, fishing, and traveling. Just haven't had the right timing. Seen some that I haven't had a shot at, missed a couple, and some other missed opportunities. More than anything, it's this friggin humidity keeping me away from the fields, and the mosquitoes are brutal in the evenings. And photobucket just returned to allowing image sharing. They shut that down for a while which left me to post from the phone.

I've still managed to put a few on the ground, couple called in and a couple in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Going all the way back to my last coyote in April...a honey hole kill.

The spring haying season was brutal for me. Just wasn't getting any action. I mean...I missed a couple, but I wasn't seeing them like I was used to. Got this one after reluctantly leaving the house to go hunt a bad wind in early June. This guy came out of the tall grass that I had just walked through...to find himself 37 yards from me. I was obviously facing away and had to pick up and swing the rifle his way. He looked my way twice and I froze until he looked back at the caller. Dropped him right where he popped out of the tall grass.

After letting some of this heat and humidity pass, I finally got a morning to go sit over the honey hole. Farmer said he hasn't seen or heard a coyote in weeks. I guess I picked the right morning...got this one at 0515. Farmer couldn't believe I had gotten one...he just hadn't been seeing them. Fairly large male...

With the low humidity, that same evening, I went to the farm which continued to give me bad winds to hunt. Owner texted me earlier in the afternoon and mentioned seeing one as he bailed hay. Got there in plenty of time to walk across 300-400 yds of open field in the hopes of drawing one out of the large adjacent corn field. This female showed herself before sundown, and ran across 300 yds of open field from the direction I came in from. Check out the coloring on this one. For a moment I thought it was someone's dog as it was running across the field because of that tail. But as soon as she stopped and showed me her profile, I knew she was a coyote. Good sized female too.

I'm still after them. Got some more haying coming up, and I think it might be time to fire up the thermacell. I haven't till now, but those mosquitoes!! Thanks for reading!!

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Damn!! Nice shooting. Why are you missing, too far, moving, you sometimes just suck? ;o)
    I stopped in at my uncle's yesterday and asked if you've been around. He said he hasn't seen you...or any coyotes.
    NO way I'm hunting in this heat...even if I had time. Keep after them.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    Damn!! Nice shooting. Why are you missing, too far, moving, you sometimes just suck? ;o)
    I stopped in at my uncle's yesterday and asked if you've been around. He said he hasn't seen you...or any coyotes.
    NO way I'm hunting in this heat...even if I had time. Keep after them.
    I've missed 5 this season (four different farms), and I think it's operator error more than anything. I put a new scope on the 6.8SPC and I've missed twice, but killed one. So I put that rifle away until I can get back to the range. Couple of the other shots were a little longer than normal, so small errors equal big misses.

Haven't hunted your uncles yet. I have yet to kill one there, though I know that the same yotes running through his place are showing up at other places.

I have learned some along the way this year...so we'll see how that changes success rates in the future. Now...where the hell's that thermacell?

Nice shooting brother need to change your name to yoteman lol
    Despite what your mama told you... Violence does solve problem
    American Infidel
    One Day You May 5%er

Forkhorn
    I will give you a A for effort! I can't bring myself to go into the woods in this heat, and am just getting over Lyme arthritis. Keep after them!

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Very nice. Especially with all of this heat and humidity we have been having.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Nice work. Doing it in this heat and humidity must be brutal. The mosquitoes are murder even in the yard. Maybe we'll use up all the heat in summer and have a nice cool fall?