Thread: No private sunday hunting in zone 2??

No private sunday hunting in zone 2??

With all the complicated BS and hoops you have to jump through just to do a little deer hunting in CT I thought I finally had a nice piece of private land to bow hunt with my son. Havent hunted CT in years so checking the the regs I read this:

"Archery deer hunters (including landowners hunting with a bow during the Free Landowner Deer Season) can hunt on Sundays on private land ONLY in all Deer Management Zones except 2, 3, and 4A (see zone map on Deer Hunting page). All archery deer hunting on Sundays must take place at least 40 yards away from blazed hiking trails."

So I guess the little spot in zone 2 is illegal to bow hunt on sundays. If im reading this stupidity wrong feel free to correct me, im all ears.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Correct.

The DEEP opens Deer Managment Zones to Sunday hunting based on deer population numbers.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    RWS, it's law statewide. Sunday hunting entire state, effective OCT 1, 2018. Just don't hunt Sundays in SEPT.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillst...hich_year=2018

Public Act No. 18-181

Sec. 9. Section 26-73 of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective October 1, 2018):

Sunday shall be a closed season except for hunting deer with bow and arrow on private property and for the purpose of trapping under the provisions of this chapter. The possession in the open air on Sunday of any implement for hunting, except for bow and arrow, shall be prima facie evidence of hunting in violation of the provisions of this section. No provision of this section shall be construed so as to affect any provision of section 26-31, 26-48, 26-52 or 27-35. Artificially propagated birds designated by the commissioner may be shot on Sundays on licensed private shooting preserves subject to such regulations of the commissioner as may apply to such private shooting preserves, provided permission so to shoot has been obtained from the town or towns within which such licensed private shooting preserves are located. Any person who hunts deer on Sunday with bow and arrow on private property pursuant to this section shall: (1) [Conduct such hunting only in deer management zones determined by the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection to be overpopulated and only in accordance with and pursuant to the wildlife management principles and practices established by the Commissioner of Energy and Environmental Protection, (2) have] Have the written permission of the private property owner where such hunting is conducted, and [(3)] (2) carry such written permission upon his or her person during the hunting. No person shall hunt with bow and arrow on Sunday on private property pursuant to this section within forty yards of a blazed hiking trail.

RED - text removed from bill.
    BLUE - text added to bill.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    I didn't see that. thanks for posting .

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Thanks for the info TooManyHobbies, I sure was bummed about no hunting in zone 2, sundays would be the only day for us to go. We can wait till Oct 1st, and next year we can sunday hunt in September.

Horizontal Hunter
    Correct.

The DEEP opens Deer Managment Zones to Sunday hunting based on deer population numbers.

Bob

Don't know what they base their statistics on but this spot we got is crawlin with deer.